Antivirus is 'completely wasted money': Cisco CSO

Chris

Companies are wasting money on security processes — such as applying patches and using antivirus software — which just don't work, according to Cisco's chief security officer John Stewart.

Speaking at the AusCERT 2008 conference in the Gold Coast yesterday, Stewart said the malware industry is moving faster than the security industry, making it impossible for users to remain secure.

"If patching and antivirus is where I spend my money, and I'm still getting infected and I still have to clean up computers and I still need to reload them and still have to recover the user's data and I still have to reinstall it, the entire cost equation of that is a waste.

"It's completely wasted money," Stewart told delegates.

More | Here

Companies are wasting money on security processes — such as applying patches and using antivirus software — which just don't work, according to Cisco's chief security officer John Stewart.

I disagree as anti-virus software has worked for me over the last 7 years :happy:

What's the alternative?

Using nothing and hoping for the best :blink:

I disagree as anti-virus software has worked for me over the last 7 years :happy:

What's the alternative?

Using nothing and hoping for the best :blink:

I feel the same. My Av and Anti Malware programs have been a godsend over the years. :D

The main body of the text refers to companies not the desktop user.

Yes I did read that but am wondering what the difference is as either A/V works or it doesn't.

The only difference being that if the anti-virus software fails a business then they have a lot more to lose than the home user.

Isn't the statement

Stewart said the malware industry is moving faster than the security industry, making it impossible for users to remain secure.
something of a truism?

Of course the security industry is slower than the malware makers. The security industry can never be predictive - in much the same way as pharmaceutical industry cannot be predictive in the forms and mutations that may develop in the real live viruses from which these electronic things derived their name.

There is a choice between having an anti-virus system system on my computer and not. Having seen some machines that do not, I know where my choice stays.

Isn't the statement
Stewart said the malware industry is moving faster than the security industry, making it impossible for users to remain secure.
something of a truism?

Of course the security industry is slower than the malware makers. The security industry can never be predictive - in much the same way as pharmaceutical industry cannot be predictive in the forms and mutations that may develop in the real live viruses from which these electronic things derived their name.

There is a choice between having an anti-virus system system on my computer and not. Having seen some machines that do not, I know where my choice stays.

DITTO. :D

If you've only once had the message that a virus or an item of malware has been stopped from inserting itself on your computer. Then anti-virus software must be worth a reasonable payment.

Then if you've also only once had the experience of spending hours finding out how to remove a piece of malware, such as a browser hijacker that continuously tries to divert your browser to some unasked for site, then that also is worth a reasonable payment.

I recently stood by someone as he tried to browse the internet on a computer infected with adware. Approximately every 30 seconds he had a little flashing boxes coming up urging him to buy this or download on which he had to keep clicking the little red crosses to get rid of them.

Like many, I make use of free anti-virus & anti-malware software. But if that ever ceases being available (which is possible - like free-banking) I know I'll have to start paying for it, and will do so. :flowers:

If you've only once had the message that a virus or an item of malware has been stopped from inserting itself on your computer. Then anti-virus software must be worth a reasonable payment.

Then if you've also only once had the experience of spending hours finding out how to remove a piece of malware, such as a browser hijacker that continuously tries to divert your browser to some unasked for site, then that also is worth a reasonable payment.

I recently stood by someone as he tried to browse the internet on a computer infected with adware. Approximately every 30 seconds he had a little flashing boxes coming up urging him to buy this or download on which he had to keep clicking the little red crosses to get rid of them.

Like many, I make use of free anti-virus & anti-malware software. But if that ever ceases being available (which is possible - like free-banking) I know I'll have to start paying for it, and will do so. :flowers:

I already do, and Nod 32 security suite is well worth it's low fee. :D