Gordon Brown plans to fight only one election

Will he get the opportunity to fight even one election?

Yeah there might be a back bench rebellion if the economy doesn't 'pick up' and the opinion polls don't improve.

Never forget what happened to Thatch.

Ironically I think that part of the reason for her being forced out of office was that she became increasingly 'out of touch' and stopped listening just as Brown appears to be doing now!

He should go now.

Agreed but who would replace him?

Also even if he were replaced before the next general election, I don't think it will make much difference to the result although, I suppose, a hung parliament could happen.

Will he get the opportunity to fight even one election?

Yeah there might be a back bench rebellion if the economy doesn't 'pick up' and the opinion polls don't improve.

Never forget what happened to Thatch.

Ironically I think that part of the reason for her being forced out of office was that she became increasingly 'out of touch' and stopped listening just as Brown appears to be doing now!

He should go now.

Agreed but who would replace him?

Also even if he were replaced before the next general election, I don't think it will make much difference to the result although, I suppose, a hung parliament could happen.

Donald Duck. :lol:

He should go now.

Oh no he shouldn't, his current task is to reduce Labour to an irrelevant political footnote for the foreseeable future and while he's doing well the job's not finished. Keep digging that hole Gordo, then fill it in after you.

:D

I would have thought that he has already succeeded. :D

heh @Belatucadrus ..that what the Tories hope too

Got to admit ..I was surprised at this , to Gordon its an admission of defeat ........and an admission like this , Blair considers it his greatest mistake . it immediately made him yesterdays man , and people (straw) started jockeying for positions with tha' broon ......

nu labour is technically bankrupt at the end of next month , unless lord stainsbury digs deep , but some bridges have been burnt there ....... maybe tha broon needs a new tennis partner ........

heh ... tha broon is on sky news now ..."I feel your pain" .....while speaker Martin of the honourable trough recommends a £40,000pa pay rise for all snorters in the house in order to reduce a portion of expenses claims ..... there really is another planet ! .......... but its not as we know it , Jim

beyond parody

I can't believe it when Brown truddles off to Saudi Arabia to try and get them to get the price of oil down!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7467151.stm

I mean the government won't reduce the huge taxation rate (of around 66%) on petrol so why should he expect OPEC to reduce their prices :lol:

The reason why the government won't reduce fuel taxation is because they can't afford to as they put nothing away in the way of a reserve fund during the decade of strong growth of the UK economy.

A fuel tax reduction would help people with the rising cost of living and also help in combatting inflation but it just can't be done and the government can't borrow any more money to pay for this temporary cut in fuel duty as it's already at or near it's self imposed 40% of GDP limit on government borrowing.

The prime minister wants oil producers to invest in a £100bn drive towards long-term energy projects in Britain, such as wind farms and nuclear power.

So Brown is asking the Saudis to invest in alternative fuel alternatives - as if they are going to do that as it's the 'opposition' to the oil industry which will ultimately lead to falling oil prices which may benefit us but certainly not them.

Let's not forget that most of the price at the pumps for petrol and diesel is tax!

With petrol at a pump price of £1.15 only 37.5p is the actual cost of the petrol with another 10p going to the petrol garage and for transport costs so pre-tax, the cost of petrol would only be around 48p a litre which is comparitively cheap and I like it how the government blames the oil companies!

I know it's not just the UK government that heavily taxes oil and I understand why they do it as it's a 'cash cow' but my objection is blaming the oil companies and OPEC for the high prices :angry:

295cyet.jpg taken from here

I can't believe it when Brown truddles off to Saudi Arabia to try and get them to get the price of oil down!

It's nothing to do with oil. It is just somewhere to go to avoid being amongst his own detritus and "friends".

http://www.google.com/base/a/1335536/D11097805605953506729

click on " gordon_brown_annual_report.pdf"

It's nothing to do with oil. It is just somewhere to go to avoid being amongst his own detritus and "friends".

http://www.google.com/base/a/1335536/D11097805605953506729

click on " gordon_brown_annual_report.pdf"

From that link.

On 27 June 2007, Gordon Brown finally entered 10 Downing Street as Prime Minister – unelected by either his party or the country.

He had plotted that moment for years – ever since he made the "Granita pact" with Tony Blair in 1994. But despite 13 years of planning, Gordon Brown’s premiership has been an absolute disaster – for him, for the Labour Party and, far more seriously, for Britain.

In just one year, the grievous errors Brown made as Chancellor of the Exchequer have come home to roost. On his watch, during ten years of global economic growth, the Government overspent and overborrowed, leaving nothing in reserve for the difficult times. As a result, taxes are up, borrowing is up and the cost of living is up.

And despite all those years of planning, Gordon Brown had no big vision for Britain and no answers to the long-term challenges we face. Instead, he has given us more of the same old Labour spin and cynical political manoeuvres. As this book sets out, he has shown himself to be dithering and incompetent – arguably the worst Prime Minister in history.

When Gordon Brown finally summons up the courage to call a general election, the question people will ask is: "do we want five more years of this?"

looking at that pump we pay VAT on the duty , so even our tax is taxed ...urph ....!

......Broon went to SA to get them to increase production , not reduce prices ........more money to the coffers

Incidentally the massive drop off in mortgage acceptances means that Darling is going to have an estimated £6.7bn shortfall (stamps) at current rate of decline by the end of this financial year ...our government is going broke ....

I dont think that the tories are going to be able to resolve it

seriously ...I think we need another Thatcher ...and its going to hurt

looking at that pump we pay VAT on the duty , so even our tax is taxed ...urph ....!

In my opinion we should be paying the same amount of VAT as we pay on our electricity and gas bills i.e. 5% and not the full 17.5% that is charged on everything else as we already pay the 50p fuel duty which doesn't apply to other items.

......Broon went to SA to get them to increase production , not reduce prices ........more money to the coffers

Yes but Brown's hope is that the increased production will reduce the oil price but if it happens (I doubt it will as all the Saudis have to say is "Why don't you reduce fuel duty if you're that concerned ?") this will only knock a few pence off the price of fuel as like I've said before most of it is tax!

Incidentally the massive drop off in mortgage acceptances means that Darling is going to have an estimated £6.7bn shortfall (stamps) at current rate of decline by the end of this financial year ...our government is going broke ...

Part of the reason that the housing market is slowing is because of the ridiculous Home Information Packs (HIP's) which cost around £500 which you have to pay before your house even goes on the market!

This combined with the soaring cost of mortgages and the 'credit crunch' is a major factor in the housing market slowdown.

Incidentally the massive drop off in mortgage acceptances means that Darling is going to have an estimated £6.7bn shortfall (stamps) at current rate of decline by the end of this financial year ...our government is going broke ....

Also if unemployment rises this means that the government will have to pay Jobseekers Allowance on top of a tax revenue downturn as these people will no longer be earning.

There are stormy times ahead :blink:

didn't need a hips when I sold mine ...2 bedrooms .... kitchen ,bathroom ,toilet, 5 receptions , and a cellar ....only needed a hips for 3 bedrooms and over back in DEC ........

glad I'm out of it ......

Yes I think that all house sellers in the UK need a HIP now.

It's much easier to stand up and walk if you have TWO, one on each side. :lol: