Why do Regular Scans with AVG?

johnoo

I have, I think, a lack of understanding on this topic and would like help/comment.

I have AVG Free version 8.0.138 with the latest Database.It is being updated daily automatically.

The system has been checked using EICAR test system to ensure it is functioning, and all is OK, it is trapping/reporting the test Virus.

Therefore why is it required to do a daily full scan if the AVG system is trapping Virus's and Trojans as they occur?

This is something I've pondered as well. If the scanner is doing its job as it is supposed to then there should be no possibility of a virus getting through. On occasions, though, AVG has found a virus during its daily scan showing that it is not doing its job as fully as it ought. How these get through, don't know but, they do!

Recently, I installed DriveSentry http://www.drivesentry.com/ and since then I've had not malware at all. Well, none that is detectable by any of the other malware scanners I have on the machines, including AVG.

I personally, de-activate the automatic daily scan that AVG does by default, and do a full sweep of my machines using AVG Pro, a-squared Free, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware + SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition (to detect any spyware, malware, trojans etc.) on a weekly schedule before doing my regular back-ups.

I rarely find anything :)

.............. (but I do have resident protection from Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster, Spybot, IObit Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal, Spyware Terminator, Spy Sweeper and AVG Pro :D :D :D )

Paranoid ? ........... Moi ? .............. pas du tout !

After years of doing a daily scan (which does slow things down) I'm going to adopt Boris' system of once a week during my Friday afternoon housekeeping. DriveSentry seems to do a very good job - I've not found anything at all since installing it (I don't work for them) and as I always have a full system backup and a two hourly backup of vital files and folders via 2nd Copy I am pretty much protected.

Virus signatures are reactive, i.e. they are created to handle something that's been put in general circulation and brought to the attention of the AV company. As a result there's a window, hopefully very short between virus release and relevant update installation where a PC could be vulnerable. Scans should find anything you've picked up in that period.

There is another tiny window of whatsit.

There was some talk, quite some time ago, that some USB devices, with built in memory, were known to be carriers, and were sold, probably unknowingly, carrying their load.

Additionally I have had installation CDs also carrying unwanted and unwarrented passengers. .....advertising material probably approved by the software company for a fee,

It is very rare that a question is silly - you are asking the question because you don't know the answer and by someone giving an answer, this can help others. It also promotes discussion and imparts knowledge and information which can only be a good thing.

Thanks for posting the question :)

• 2 months later...