Olympic games ?????

andsome

Am I alone on the forum in being completely unable to muster any enthusiasm for the Olympic games? So far I have avoided watching anything except what has been on the news, and from what was on the news I can only ask just what did all that very expensive glitz have to do with sport? It seems that every time the Olympics come round, the first priority is to outdo the previous opening ceremony in both spectacle and cost. Heaven knows how much London will spend. Those taking part are NOT sports men and women, they are very highly paid entertainers. It is becoming steadily more and more difficult to know just how much a performance is due to effort, and how much is due to extremely difficult to trace drugs. Even the country of choice is questionable. China has thrown hundreds of thousands of people out of their homes, with little or no compensation to make way for this staged spectacular. Even though they are now one of the leading industrial nations of the world, many millions there are still extremely poor. As regards London hosting the next debacle, how many people could have expensive treatment, or how many hospitals could be built for what it will cost here? I defend everyone’s rights to watch if they want to, but I for one will be looking for alternative viewing. Anyone else have similar views, or am I just being cynical?

No, you are not being cynical in my view. Your philosophy on the junket is the same as mine. There are already loads of sporting venues around the world. No need for another, costing gazillions of whatever currency, to fulfill two weeks of entertainment. OK, the facilities will be used after the event but, was it essential that they were built in the first place? NO! The money would have been far better spent elsewhere in the country giving the population somewhere decent to live instead of what they have done to a huge number and just turf them out of their home.

The situation for the London shindig is just as bad- the money would be far, far better spent in more humanitarian projects. The sporting facilities sufficient to support the event already exist why build more?

..................... I can only ask just what did all that very expensive glitz have to do with sport? ...........

It has absolutely nothing to do with sport. Nor has the glitz and hype attached to virtually everything with the "Sport" appendage.

Virtually everything with professional, and pseudo amateur, sportsmen (and women) involved is bent, and its sole purpose is the generation of profit either openly or through the back door. In the case of the Olympic pantomime, the collusion of the IOC with the governments involved, the "bidding" for the games farce, the back handers, shady dealing, is only the start.. It continues within the country selected and the "athletes" it selects.

One of the silly facet of the Olympics is that it is supposed to be the Olympic champion of an event is the best in the world at xxxxxing, and it is his/her own efforts that have achieved it, but "Germany gains another Gold" or "Gt. Britain could only manage bronze". It has become a "mine is bigger than yours" National pride competition only slightly less serious than war.

I bet certain persons would be more enthusiastic if Crown Green Bowling and Bonzai Soup Treading were included....... :lol:

Seriously though - I too am like minded with the above posters - what a terrible waste of resources.

well ... I enjoyed the start ...wish I had been there :harhar:

heh ...my first wotsit of the year

No problem with you enjoying it of course, but what did it have to do with so called sport? Did you think while you were watching it about all those thrown out of their homes to enable it to be built on that spot, and did you think about all those being persecuted by that regime?

well ... I enjoyed the start ...wish I had been there :harhar:

heh ...my first wotsit of the year

I did too.

Whilst I am mindful of all of the above points, I still enjoy watching the games and cheering on GB.

Better than the usual rubbish in tv anyway..............

The whole point about the opening ceremony is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with sport. It was a terrible waste of money in a country where millions are still suffering hunger and deprivation. All that it has achieved apart from giving you a spectacular show, is to almost certainly make the London organisers try to go even one better. It is money that would be much better spent on more important things in the country. As has already been said, we already have perfectly good stadiums and do not need yet another one specially built just to outdo the Chinese. Each ceremony over the years has been more and more costly than the one before it. At the start of the last London Olympics there was a simple parade of all the athletes, AMATEUR athletes , not highly paid cheating performers. :D

The whole point about the opening ceremony is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with sport. It was a terrible waste of money in a country where millions are still suffering hunger and deprivation. All that it has achieved apart from giving you a spectacular show, is to almost certainly make the London organisers try to go even one better. It is money that would be much better spent on more important things in the country. As has already been said, we already have perfectly good stadiums and do not need yet another one specially built just to outdo the Chinese. Each ceremony over the years has been more and more costly than the one before it. At the start of the last London Olympics there was a simple parade of all the athletes, AMATEUR athletes , not highly paid cheating performers. :D

Yes, I could stomach it more if it returned to the simple opening and drug-free athletes.

The route by which virtually all "sport" came to its modern nadir is not hard to find.

In the days of no TV there was little in the way of professional sport (horse racing and prof. football are not sports). In the days of B&W BBC there were some interesting amateur sport programmes. Now we have multicoloured wall to wall advertising paying vast sums to anyone who will swell the "Takings".

In my youth I knew two Olympic athletes (a wrestler and a weight lifter) and two regular GB Rugby players. They all had ordinary jobs and were very ordinary friendly people...with special aptitudes (e.g..http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/bb_stampede_full.asp?stampedeid=38) Very different from today.

I was just now flicking through the channels on TV and happened upon the Olympics coverage. The picture quality was dreadful - grossly over saturated, distorted colours. I know the programme is coming from the other side of the world but, is this the norm or just that particular transmission?

On the subject of poor pay in sport in the past, I used to live in Nottingham and the year that Notts Forest won the FA Cup (whenever that was) I knew the team trainer who lived just down the road running a small grocers shop to be able to make ends meet.