Old Memories - For Us Old 'uns

AlanHo

Like andsome. I can remember setting up crystal sets, having Ariel wires everywhere. If you managed to get the light programme, you thought you were Einstein. We never tried the grass smokes, but if we had the odd penny we would get a Cinnamon stick from the chemist and try to smoke that.

Our favourite was always the penny bag of broken biscuits from the corner shop. This would feed four or five of us on the way to school. :rolleyes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see I'm late on parade but I will chuck in my tuppence worth.

Flash Gordon at Saturday morning pictures and then afterwards, tying your raincoat on like a cape and pretending to fly.

Jet Morgan in Journey into space on the radio.

The Goon Show.

Billy Cotton band show after Sunday lunch.

:D :D :D

northamuk

It was Iodine crystals...... I foung that one in a Victorian Party Tricks book when I was 12....... and had to buy them from different chemists as they wouldent sell them to me at the same time...... oh and I had to say "My mum sent me to get..."

Guest Nellie2

The only time I ever did anything remotely interesting chemically was in a chemistry lesson and we were given the task of trying to separate iron filings from I think it was copper sulphate..... well ok, you use a magnet!!! I know that now... but we were given no clues and I was a blonde child as well...... so I decided to heat my test tube of iron filings and copper sulphate to see if that would do anything (I may have thought that the iron would melt and come together as a blob in the bottom of the test tube!!! :huh:

Anyway..... the result of my experiment was the stinkiest rotten egg smell you have ever smelled. We had to evacuate the class room and for some reason when I said I wanted to do Chemistry for my O levels.... they wouldnt let me!! :(

As the one guilty of starting this thread - and being a relative newboy to the Forum - I am somewhat surprised at the number of responses.

What is the record for the number of replies to a thread - other than membership polls and the madhouse?

northamuk and all

A Warning

This can be dangerous. My friend Fred and I tried this ..... but waited untill it was fully dry. Fred then picked up the tray the crystals were on....... BANG...... and he had no eyebrows. When I stopped laughing we had to work out an excuse for his parents.

Its 10 times more volatile than nitroglycerin ..... we tried to make that too in chemistry.... but someone ratted on us :(

As the one guilty of starting this thread - and being a relative newboy to the Forum - I am somewhat surprised at the number of responses.

What is the record for the number of replies to a thread - other than membership polls and the madhouse?

SEVERAL

The only time I ever did anything remotely interesting chemically was in a chemistry lesson and we were given the task of trying to separate iron filings from I think it was copper sulphate..... well ok, you use a magnet!!!  I know that now... but we were given no clues and I was a blonde child as well...... so I decided to heat my test tube of iron filings and copper sulphate to see if that would do anything (I may have thought that the iron would melt and come together as a blob in the bottom of the test tube!!! :huh:

Anyway..... the result of my experiment was the stinkiest rotten egg smell you have ever smelled.  We had to evacuate the class room and for some reason when I said I wanted to do Chemistry for my O levels.... they wouldnt let me!! :(

Scatty ever since 'eh Nell

Guest Nellie2
What is the record for the number of replies to a thread

It would have to be The NeverEnding Story which sadly ended up in the bin in the end. :(

Other than that I'm not really sure............. anyone got any ideas???

Guest northamuk

The Neverending story finished with just under 500 replies.

AndySD I am well aware how volatile Iodine crystals are - a fly landing on them will blow itself to hell.