i have had enough - goodbye Linux welcoming back XP

so a few weeks ago i purchased an Acer Aspire one netbook with Linux Linpus lite as preinstalled OS

i have tried to adjust, i have given it a chance but the installs are unnecessarily troublesome and i am fed up with not being able to use the programs that i am used to from windows or mac

my plea is that i would like to wipethe hardrive of the previous OS linpus lite and reinstall windows XP professional

that is where the problem begins, the thing with netbooks, as great as they are they have no CD rom drive so it leaves me unable to install by CD, i have obtained a batch of files containing windows XP proffesional and i know its possible to install via booted USB but i have no idea which files need to be on the USB boot folder

i probably seem like a complete noob but linux really has killed my mind, if anybody knows any easier ways to wipe linux and reinstall xp by USB or other means then please let me know

any help would be greatly appreciated, i just want to return to good old familiar XP or vista

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

A modern computer without a CD-ROM drive - never heard of such a thing... Or does it have a DVD drive? I am sure that you can obtain Windows on a DVD.

i have obtained a batch of files containing windows XP pro...

I don't know how you "obtained" these files; please explain. We will not be able to help with illegal or pirated software of any kind.

I too have an Acer Aspire One netbook loaded with Linpus Lite but only use it for internet browsing and Emails when I am away from home - so am happy with the OS. I happen to own an external USB DVD drive which I used to reinstall the OS after it became corrupted by a curious meddling grandchild.

It is true that the computer lacks an optical drive - but as you say - it will boot from a USB memory stick if set to do so in the BIOS.

The basic model with an 8 GB solid state hard drive is very limited but the loaded internet and Open Office software suits my needs because of its extreme portability and speed.

I live on a planet where computers are made to be functional. What is the point of having a computer without a CD or DVD drive? You buy a software or game in a shop, but cannot install it? Even with an external CD or DVD drive, it may not be bootable.

I live on a planet where computers are made to be functional. What is the point of having a computer without a CD or DVD drive? You buy a software or game in a shop, but cannot install it? Even with an external CD or DVD drive, it may not be bootable.

Pat

The purpose of a netbook is to provide an ultra lightweight but powerful means of doing basic office tasks and internet access whilst travelling.

Mine has built in wireless, a network port, 3 USB ports, a port for memory cards. 8 GB of flash memory, 512 MB RAM, a built-in webcam and more than 3 hour battery life. The OS is a version of Linux and it came loaded with open Office, a Browser, Email software etc.

It's all I need on the road and I relish its portability.

It is not designed for adding other software or games - it's just a very efficient low cost basic tool.

This should help you install XP on your netbook via USB.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt_8p0VllY

This is actually how found out that a USB could be made bootable and the OS can be installed via it, but the tutorial just runs through assuming that the boot folder is already all together and the program will find it and put it to work ^_^;;

its the action of the boot folder and the files inside it that i cant work out ^_^;;; im asking a little much maybe

~ also recieved my actual xp instal CD from home this morning so its legit ~

• 3 weeks later...
so a few weeks ago i purchased an Acer Aspire one netbook with Linux Linpus lite as preinstalled OS

i have tried to adjust, i have given it a chance but the installs are unnecessarily troublesome and i am fed up with not being able to use the programs that i am used to from windows or mac

my plea is that i would like to wipethe hardrive of the previous OS linpus lite and reinstall windows XP professional

that is where the problem begins, the thing with netbooks, as great as they are they have no CD rom drive so it leaves me unable to install by CD, i have obtained a batch of files containing windows XP proffesional and i know its possible to install via booted USB but i have no idea which files need to be on the USB boot folder

i probably seem like a complete noob but linux really has killed my mind, if anybody knows any easier ways to wipe linux and reinstall xp by USB or other means then please let me know

any help would be greatly appreciated, i just want to return to good old familiar XP or vista

Forget the Linpus distro, just install Fedora 10 on your laptop. B)

• 2 months later...

A brand new modern computer set without an optical drive, hmmmh.... Never heard of that. Are you serious...

base on the pic.. it really doesnt have an optical drive... what kind od pc is that... My God... How can they create that pc without an optical drive... If you buy games and utilities, how can you install it...

if you have a windows xp cd. Copy all the contents of the cd in your USB flash drive. Dont think of what file you will be nedding on that cd.

The programmer of Windows Xp will not include all the file on the cd if it is nit needed. My god....

Have a good day...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I agree with Pat. I've never bought a laptop and it not had a CD/DVD-ROM drive and have not actually come across one.

Although, thinking about it, I did see in a local PC shop a while back, they were selling some really old '90's laptop which was thick as a home-made loaf of bread and I don't think this had a CD/DVD drive at all.

Linux Linpus is a little bit on the annoying side of a Linux distribution, you should try out something that has more of a dedicated user community like Ubuntu/Kubuntu, depending on the type of UI you're after and a few other changes here and there or Slackware.

There are ported Windows programs on Linux distributions but finding the right one that does the job well for you is the awkward part.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread:

It's not strictly "Non-Windows Related", but could clear up a few points, and be helpful used in context of the thread.

Ideal for installing Windows 7 on a netbook or any other device without an optical drive.

Link: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/12/10/th...nd-open-source/