Do I really need this big update?

artist

I just looked the .Net Framework thingy up and methinks, as a basic home user, that maybe I don't need any of it.

I got the same impression. That .Net Framework was on the tv last night - seems to be a sort of inter-mix user thing. Not something I'm going to get involved in.

But.......maybe it's something else - enlightenment in layman's speak would be good?

As far as I am concerned it is on my computer and doing no harm. From following some of the links in that article, it appears that I may possibly need it to run some applications. Who knows, it is not over filling my hard drive, I don't think many programs could. I am happy to leave it. :D

If it's a .Net Framework download, if you put a program onto your computer that needs it, it will probably prompt you with a link to download it, so if your happily getting along without it, ignore it.

Sensible advice, rong.

If it's a .Net Framework download, if you put a program onto your computer that needs it, it will probably prompt you with a link to download it, so if your happily getting along without it, ignore it.

I tend to agree with this also, especially after reading on another thread (was it -pops-?) that this update has caused some computers to crash. Actually it's not a security update, PW, it's listed as High Priority when I look on my PC, but Optional on my Laptop. The difference is I have .NET Framework 2 on the PC, but only .NET Framework 1 on the Laptop. I didn't install it on either machine however.

I'm confident that if a program needs the update to run, it will inform me. Very few do (Visual Studio is an example, also some language & keyboard utilities) so most of us needn't install this. For some reason it seems to be High Priority to Microsoft, but not to the majority of home users. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
LEAVE IT!!! The .Net framework is absolutely necessary to use any programs made in VB, C++, C, and many other programming languages AKA Almost ALL software

I think it is very fortunate you came along with this advice when you did.

If you had not come along so quickly poor artist could have been waiting another two and a half months for this advice.

It's very simple: if you have the .NET Framework installed, then you will need the security update.

If you don't have it installed, then you will not be offered the update.

LEAVE IT!!! The .Net framework is absolutely necessary to use any programs made in VB, C++, C, and many other programming languages AKA Almost ALL software

Now let me see - which one will I take notice of.................... :rolleyes: