PM spam from "victoria"

Many, or all, forum members may have received a PM (Private Message) from "Victoria" with the following content

Hello

My name is miss Victoria i saw your

profile today on(forums.windowsforum.org)and became interested

in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to

my email address so that i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am. i

believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address

above.Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters allot in

life. Please reply me with my email address here ([email protected])

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN

YOURS VICTORIA

Do not contact this e-mail address - it is a scam!

This is the second time in a week that this mass PM scam has been distributed. So far I don't know how this can be prevented.

What I have done so far:

• contacted Yahoo UK to report the contact address for the scam.
    Most likely Yahoo will not take any action, although I have explained to them that forum spam does not carry any Internet headers.
  • disabled userid 'victoria'.
  • noted the sign-up and post IP address 196.207.192.198, which is Dakar, Senegal.
  • noted the sign-up email address [email protected]

These spammers/scammers are well organized; we don't know yet how they managed to set off so many PM messages in a short time. I believe it's an automated process.

The current "victoria" is blocked from logging in or posting, but they may as well register under different names. Even if we manage to block new sign-up via the above mentioned IP and email address, they will probably manage to sign-up from other IP addresses with new email contacts.

This morning many of the regulars at the Adobe support forum received identical PMs from one "vivian".

I believe that forum software update(s) may be required to prevent mass PM spamming.

Just out of curiosity: what time were your spam PM received? (Mine was at 08:49+9 [JST].) This may give us a clue if they were all sent simultaneously, or sequentially.

These spammers/scammers are well organized; we don't know yet how they managed to set off so many PM messages in a short time. I believe it's an automated process.

The current "victoria" is blocked from logging in or posting, but they may as well register under different names. Even if we manage to block new sign-up via the above mentioned IP and email address, they will probably manage to sign-up from other IP addresses with new email contacts.

This morning many of the regulars at the Adobe support forum received identical PMs from one "vivian".

I believe that forum software update(s) may be required to prevent mass PM spamming.

Just out of curiosity: what time were your spam PM received? (Mine was at 08:49+9 [JST].) This may give us a clue if they were all sent simultaneously, or sequentially.

I don't know. Mine was waiting for me when I logged on. I just deleted it. :D

Many, or all, forum members may have received a PM (Private Message) from "Victoria" with the following content

Its been almost a year since ive been here last time, and i already recieved about 3 messages from this victoria...

instead of disabling the account, cant you remove it?

The ip is mentioned in the first post of this thread (196.207.192.198). As you point out, not much use blocking it as they will soon find another address if they are determined.

Time of receipt: 00.34BST. I don't know how that translates to Japanese time, Pat :)

That equals to 09:34 JST - we are 9 hours ahead of your time.

That equals to 08:34 JST - we are 8 hours ahead of your time, since you are now on DST.

This means that they are sending these PMs one-by-one, not all at the same time.

The flood-control patch mentioned by Boris will not completely prevent that kind of spam, but certainly slow it down even more. I hope that today's outage was to implement that patch!

P.S. Yahoo has not removed that new account either - dithering nincompoops!

Thanks for the info.

Since you are in the Netherlands, your time zone is CET (Central European Time), which is GMT+1, meaning you are one hour ahead of GMT, which is the time of the United Kingdom. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timezones if you want to know more about the world time zones.

... my computer says its 10:11 [GMT+1] and the forum says 09:11 ...

You can adjust the forum's time zone to show your own time. Go to My Controls, then under Options, click on Board Settings. Here you can adjust the time zone to GMT+1. You can also set it to have DST (daylight saving time) automatically adjusted.

Today's PM spam is from "miss judith", received at 05:33-JST (=21:33-GMT).

Anyone else received this message, please post the time received.

Craig has applied a patch and change last weekend to prevent mass PM spamming (5 minutes enforced delay between each PM), so I'd like to see if it had any effect...

Hello

My name is miss judith.i saw your profile today and became intrested in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so that i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address ([email protected]) .i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life) please send me mail to my e mail address.

Please rpely me with my email address here

([email protected])

She/he is back again.

I believe you are using IPB 2.3.6

If you have updated the most recent patch for 2.3.6 with regard to mass spamming then this is a person and not a bot. Try using the *wildcard feature in the ban filters of the acp. They will soon get fed up and go elsewhere.

Alternatively upgrade to IPB 3.0.0

Now that I think about it...

I've been having random addresses adding me on MSN and doing that bot thing that invites the user to visit a webpage to view 18 + material and this bot tries flirting to make you think it's a woman.

Judith, as above, was one of them. I think It's a person trying to make money from getting your address, making you go to some website and pay them money to see webcam crap.

The best thing you can do is for the users to hide their email addresses on their control panel/account profile.