Nero 9 - Free Edition

Boris

Nero 9 Free Version

What’s better than free?

Free forever!

Nero offers you the chance to enjoy Nero’s world-renowned data disc burning and copying features for an unlimited time, absolutely FREE!

Enjoy basic data burning and copying capabilities for your CDs and DVDs from the world’s most

trusted digital media brand, Nero.

This version of Nero 9 contains simply data burning and disc copying features for CDs and DVDs. Additional features and functionality are available with an upgrade to Nero 9 full version.
General system requirements

­Windows® XP SP2 or SP3, Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2

Windows® XP 64 bit, Windows Vista® 64 bit, and Windows® 7 64 bit versions are supported via 32 bit emulation mode.

Windows® Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher.

1 GHz Intel® Pentium® III or equivalent AMD and Intel® processor (2 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or equivalent AMD and Intel® processor for Windows Vista®), 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM for Windows Vista®).

~270MB hard drive space for a typical installation of all components.

~500MB hard drive space temporary for the installation

CD or DVD recordable or rewritable drive for burning.

DirectX® 9.0c revision 30 (August 2006) or higher.

Up to 9 GB available hard drive space for DVD images and temporary DVD files.

Graphics card with at least 32 MB video memory, minimum resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, and 16-bit color settings (24-bit or 32-bit true color is recommended).

Installation of the latest WHQL certified device drivers is strongly recommended.

For the Nero Online services: Nero product registration, product updates, and other features an Internet connection is required.

Optional Requirements

­16-bit Microsoft® Windows® compatible sound device and speakers Installation of latest WHQL certified device drivers recommended.

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php

Sounds too good to be true. Does the £6.99 update offer on the website come in place of the free version, or do you need to download and install the free version first and then apply the update afterwards? Or don't you know? :D

Pending an answer I decided to have a download it any way. It went perfectly until the last 0.1MB, and that took ages. I tried to install it and got an error message. I deleted the download and used C Cleaner. After several more attempts, the following messages are shown below..

Sorry - I forgot to add this bit :blush:

Limitations:

Installs Ask Toolbar by default.

Easy to opt out of.

Email address requested to download, accepts any email.

This version of Nero 9 contains simply data burning and disc copying features for CDs and DVDs.

Additional features and functionality are available with an upgrade to Nero 9 full version.

To keep your system clean, it is recommended to deselect the Ask.com toolbar options during the installation.

No Nero 9 serial number, product key or activation code is required for installation.

Nero 9 Free Edition, which is also known as Nero 9 Essentials, is a massively stripped down limited functionality edition of Nero 9, which has only the following features and functions:-

CD and DVD copying

Data CD and DVD burning

Nero 9 Free Edition cannot be used to make or create audio CDs, create or burn ISO images, rip or copy DVD movies or audio CDs, edit or author DVDs, and many other functions. It can satisfy the needs of people who simply want to backup data files to disc, or duplicate CD or DVD discs.

I think the comments posted on the Snapfiles site are pretty damning :

Pros: Easy to use

Cons: Huge file size, very few features; no Audio CDs; GUI littered with news feeds and promotional tabs

Given the choice of a feature limited 55.8Mb with added garbage or the Ashampoo free burner at 5.9Mb and I'm not going to have much difficulty reaching a decision .

I think the comments posted on the Snapfiles site are pretty damning :
Pros: Easy to use

Cons: Huge file size, very few features; no Audio CDs; GUI littered with news feeds and promotional tabs

Given the choice of a feature limited 55.8Mb with added garbage or the Ashampoo free burner at 5.9Mb and I'm not going to have much difficulty reaching a decision .

Nor I - a payload of 56 Mb that is absolutely free with the bonus of a free Ask toolbar - is irresistable.

I appreciate that the full Nero suite takes up a huge amount of hard drive space - however I use version 8 because it can accept and convert a wide range of video formats that many video editing programmes cannot handle.

I like it because it is a complete media tool kit. The only time it let me down was when I had to burn the downloaded Windows 7 installation file to a DVD in ISO format. I could not find how to do it with Nero and finished up using freeware CDBurnerXP.

Thanks very much for the link, but I will be sticking with Nero 6 which I already have. :D

Yes, I'm using that version. I think the last good version before they made Nero bigger [but not necessarily better].

The thing is there are loads of freebies out there and I think Nero is trying to get in that crowd but they seemed to have failed at the first version. :(

If there free app was smaller, leaner then they could have had a winner.

Thanks very much for the link, but I will be sticking with Nero 6 which I already have. :D

It is the version I use myself for normal use :D , although the Ashampoo free version is installed on some of my rigs.