Any Thunderbird users out there?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Catgate my last thunderbird, the 2 something the account settings was still under tools

It must be due to being a different OS then, rong, because I'm on Ubuntu 8.04.

edit:- That having been said it is an identical page (in a different colour).

Thought I had made some progress by installing Thunderbird 2 TB 2 shot but no my test messages went before my eyes again. Now I'm wondering about the settings relating to The "allow server to overwrite these name spaces was checked" so I've unchecked it. Anyone care to send me some test emails. I'm getting bored with keep send myself "Test" messages.

post-64-126146614837_thumb.jpg

Nope that wasn't the answer either. There's obviously a setting that's causing my mail to be trashed but there's nothing in the trash bins.

Have you looked at the "junk" settings.

If you are somehow getting every email automatically designated as "junk", and have got the setting under Account Settings>LocalFolder>Junk Setting to automatically dump junk, that might account for it.

I know when I first started using TB the little fire icon had me puzzled for a while...but then most things do that.

That wasn't the answer either. I had a test message showing in my inbox at 16:42, still there at 17:01 and again when I checked at 18:00 but 18:26 it had gone. Couldn't find it in any of the available folders.

All I want for Christmas is my emails to show

I've still got my two front teeth!!!!!!!!

Not sure if the problem is resolved but we may have cracked it. Thanks to all who have helped me on this, especially those very helpful emails but it looks as though my TB was only reading my mail and not downloading it!!!! So following Artist's method I uninstalled again and then did a search for any residues, which I found in my Widows mail box. This was trashed and then did a re-install of TB 3. This time it showed the Synchronisation & Storage settings which wasn't showing before. Not sure if I removed all the tripe as I didn't have to go through the set-up routine so there may be some rubbish hanging around, and I might have to go through it all again. I've switched off Gmail for the mo and hoping all is well and I don't lose and critical stuff. So emails are more than welcome. I'm watching my inbox to see if the contents remain.

Failed Back to square 1 again the messages lasted only 18 minutes this time. Back to Gmail but keep the messages coming folks.

You know I eally am struggling with this, out of desparation I've even tried a reinstallation with my Avast suspended. I now can't get it to retain my password. doesn't matter what I tried it keeps asking for the password does a scan then says failed to recognise password and retry.

I could do with a nice Christmas present folks. I refuse to be beaten with this.

I know it is an inauspicious time to suggest it, but, have you had a go at the Mozilla support people? They must know something about this. I don't suppose they will be there tomorrow though.

Alternatively there are a few other free email client progs. about, and they are all more or less the same to look at.

Well I admire your patience and tenacity. I think I would have given it the "coop of gracie" before now, and done at least a clean reinstall of Tb.

Do you suppose that M$ have fitted a "spoiler".

Do you still have your new Outlook Express (or whatever it is now called) installed? Maybe that is dark gentleman in the fuel store. Can you take OE out on its own?

tonight I have wade through Eudora and am now trying out pegasus. Is it possible that I could download Outlook Express from somewhere which I could run?

I do not believe you can download Outlook Express - it was an intrinsic part of Windows XP, Vista etc.

I have downloaded and use Windows Mail - available free from Windows Live Click Here - it looks like OE, smells like OE, behaves like OE in most respects and you can easily import OE Emails into it.

I cannot imagine you having similar problems with it.......................but on second thoughts ........................rolleyes.gif

I just posted you a message, but it got lost. Is this a sign? Will we get three wise Geeks from the East bearing gifts?

The message was to the effect that if Eudora and pegasus were doing the same then it looks to me as though the problem may lie nearer the ISP's area of responsibility than yours.

I also asked if you could take out your existing Outlook Express and try without that in your system. There may be a M$ spoiler built in...you know what Bill is like.

Not sure Alan but as of 5:53 this morning I finaly got a working email client up and running - and it's still running at 9:27. Have been sending my self messages which I have the received and are still in the inbox. So please send me your wishes. I'll add to this thread some of the more recent trauma and failures. the problem must have a combination of any or all of the following. Windows 7 x 64 bit/Thunderbird/TalkTalk ISP/Avast/my decrepitude. probably quite a bit of the latter. Got to start the christmas day going Family are due at 3pm and I've got to lay the table etc. Hopefully Santa and his Elves did arrive in time :flowers:

I was going to post a summary of my trials and tribulations on my thunderbird problems, having Sylpheed up and running. However, after mulling over my notes I came to the conclusion that my first installation attempt went awry and I didn't clear out all the residues prior to re-installing. It was at this point that I fird up Gmail. I've concluded that this was resulting in my emails dissappearing because my TM installations have only been reading and not downloading my messages from my inbox on my ISP server. I've just installed and confirmed this by sending a series of messages to myself and sure enough TB read them all. I then deleted these messages on my ISP inbox consequently they dissappeared from my Thunderbird inbox. So I think I have redefined my problem, not resolved it. So any suggestions will be very welcome. Again thanks to those helping. I really would like to run with TB because I had come to like it. At the worst Sylpheed will suffice but only as a stopgap.