How Often Do You Defrag Your HDD

bludgard

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you run a disk defragger on schedule?

• Yes,I let my defragger do it's thing
    • No,I do manual defrags only
    • Both,I keep a close eye on my fragments
  2. 2. If you answered "No",how often do you defrag?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Never
    • When fragmentation reaches a certain percentage
  3. 3. Has defragging HDD ever caused negative performance issues?

Another poll?

I think these polls would benefit readers of this forum.It is nice to see what the "Crack Computer Expert Investigation Team" is doing on their PCs.Seasoned veterans have been through the pitfalls of PC maintenance and should have a little insight as to what would be a reliable upkeep "system".

Also,it cures my curiosity! :secret:

Thanks again.

Oh bugger !

That's stopped me making a sarcastic post to andsome. :angry:

Although NTFS doesn't suffer quite as badly from the effects of fragmentation as did the FAT file system, and the "Find" times may not reflect a great speed difference, it is worth doing. - Whichever way you choose to do it.

If ever you have to recover files from a disk that has been corrupted or accidentally deleted, the recovery time will be much faster, and in better order on a Drive/Partition that has little or no fragmentation.

How you do your Defrag is a matter of "Horses for Courses." - It is a good idea to do it though.

Tiny Tim or Mahler ? - Diskeeper or Wat evvah ?

As long as you is doin' the main thing bro. All will be okay.

John.

• 4 weeks later...

I could not answer the poll accurately because I use Diskeeper which runs in the background and keeps the computer constantly defragged.

To save andsome posting - he does the same.

It's a great program. I don't even know it's running, there is no loss of performance whatsoever. It's worth every penny for the lifetime licence.B)

Something strange is going on.:huh:

I only defrag my hard drive when it reaches 10% fragmentation or more.Well I haven't had to defrag for some time now.

Sometimes I'll analyze the disk and it will be 7% fragged.The next time I check it will be at 0%.Next time 5%.Then 1%.

I only use the Windows defragger.I've used others but since I'm not the defrag-addict,I chose to stay with the on board defragmenter.

Scheduled defrag is turned off.Has been since I got this lappy.No other defrag tool installed.

What gives you reckon?Could it be that analyzing is actually defragging?It usually takes 15-30 mins to defrag my HDD.Analyzing the disk only takes about 3-5 mins.

I haven't had to defrag in months.

Anyone have a logical explanation for this behaviour?

'Preciate it.

I'm wondering if defragmentation is all it is made out to be.

I can use Auslogics which will give me a pretty chart to show the progress of the operation and still leave me with numerous red squares (fragmented blocks) at the supposed end about 30 minutes or more later. I can then do another run using Puran Defrag which, similarly show me a pretty graphical screen of its progress and then tell me some time later that it has defragmented the disk often by an amount greater than I was told that Auslogics had done - remember this second one was run immediately following the first. I can then go back to Auslogics and, do another run and it's just as if I was just starting afresh.

Is it because one program disagrees with another about what is fragmented and then goes ahead and dismantles the work already done?

Either way, none of them achieve complete defragmentation - there are always some, in my mind too many, red squares on the GUI when the processes are finished.