Rising Free anti virus

Belatucadrus

Rising free anti virus is from the Beijing Rising International Software Co.,Ltd in China. It's had rather mixed results at Virus Bulletin with almost as many failures as passes.

After installation you're presented with a comprehensive Anti Virus, plenty of options to configure, auto updates, schedulable scan e-mail scan etc. On the downside where some AV products ask you to reboot to install software updates, Rising shuts down and updates there and then which seems a bit risky if you're on-line at the time.

Only been a few days but so far I like it and I'll post again after.

• 2 weeks later...

My testing is really limited to opinions on the software in use day to day, I leave the nasty stuff to those that know what they're doing. Rising was submitted to Virus Bulletin fairly regularly with quite good results until fairly recently when it failed one test catastrophically. It's not been submitted since so they may have fallen out.

I do test with the Eicar test virus, but none of the Chinese packages bother to load it so it tells me nothing with them.

Sorry. I was not trying to pry. I was just trying to see what others do as far as testing software. A big thing I have is how much the software uses resources and how well the software actually performs on the task it claims. I have only gotten familiar with a few antivirus/malware programs (MSE, avast!, ZoneAlarm, MBAM, SAS, and a few others). I try running without the extra weight now. (Not recommended for those who freak out when a fake-alarm pops up and something starts downloading/installing while browsing on the net).

I do try out some of the programs you post. All AV/AM programs slow down my older machines. I only get to that lag point and then it is gone. I’ll try a couple of them again against some “nasties” when I get my test machine up and running again. Power supply/AC adaptor/charger failed. I will report back….

Pry away, I've never claimed to be an expert but if anybody wants clarification as to what I've been doing just ask.

PS computer qualifications are: A level, HNC & HND computing. I didn't do a degree course and have no exotic background playing with DOS or working with bewhiskered computing gurus on Colossus or Eniac.

You mean to inform me that you did not study under the watchful eyes of the gods of Olympus either?:unsure:

I shant hold this against you, Belatucadrus. I am quite ignorant of most things and only guess at what may be amiss rather than try to find a proper solution to a problem. I eschew any and all forms of authority and feel that my uneducated posturing is just as important and misleading as those posed by the educated.:0

Who is to say that the Earth will not become flat again in the future?:huh:

• 2 months later...

Just an update note after a few months nothing new to report, I've not come down with any digital nasties, the updates run perfectly well on my dial up equipped laptop and the way it pops up the dial up window when it wants to connect for updates etc. is still a pain in the proverbials. Scheduled scan works OK and e-mail check also fine. I think it benefits from a bit of tweaking on the settings as the default set doesn't quite suit me.

With the usual caveat that I don't have megatons of in the wild pests to chuck at it for test purposes, this one seems OK.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...