Question for EPSON printer users

andsome

I don't know if I have a hardware or software problem. My Epson Stylus Photo R340 has always given me great results using compatible inks. I have NOT changed any inks or settings, but suddenly the quality of photo prints has changed. There is a slight muddiness and a slight purplish cast to photo prints. Even making new copies of photos that I first printed some time ago, is giving these results, nothing like the original prints. A print of the nozzle check is perfect. Epson could not suggest anything other than using their program to print photos rather than Pics print, but this made no difference. I have uninstalled everything relating to the printer including the drivers, and installed the latest drivers from Epsons site. I used C Cleaner after the uninstall. The printer was perfect a week or so ago, but now I am suddenly getting these poor results.

My question has to be. Can a sudden fall off of quality occur after a few years, and is it due now for replacement? I don't want to buy a new printer only to find that the same thing occurs due to the problem lying elsewhere.

That model has been out since early 2006 (nearly 7 years).

Try the SSC utility - see http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Download it from :- http://www.ssclg.com/download/sscserve.exe

Instructions - http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

My only other suggestion is to try a set of genuine Epson carts and see if that makes any difference ?

Thanks Boris. I ran the utility and nothing is different. I am reluctant to buy genuine Epson cartridges as the others have served me well since I bought the printer several years ago, and the problem has only occurred within the last week, having made NO changes whatsoever.

The problem undoubtedly lies with the printer itself rather than software, drivers, or any peripheral things Keith.

I have got a fairly modern Epson SX435W. But pride of the stable is still an Epson Stylus Color 670. (Pictured)

Epson670_zps00c98194.jpg

My 670 started doing exactly what you have described a while back. A nozzle print out provided aso a 100% clean bill of health.

At a complete waste of ink, last ditch chance, I started the nozzle clean process several times, and finally got the printer working perfectly.

A "dry out" on the heads seems to be the problem. There are other solutions for us old "Make do and mend crocks" Above and beyond the "Throwaway Generation"

I've downloaded some information on you printer andsome. If we can keep it working we will !

My old 670 ? - Issue date 1997. - So what ! - I should throw it away already my life ? :)

I've got information here for your printer Keith. Some of the cures could involve stripping down, and tepid water to clean the heads. :unsure:

Boris. Dont forget to get involved in some new ideas for the forum here: http://forums.window...321#entry332694 A few of us eagerly awaiting your views. :)

I will keep reminders going for people throughout the year.

John.

If you haven't retained the original operating instructions for the printer, some of it can be found here:

http://www.epson.com...86&infoType=Doc

The stripping down of the printer, soaking the heads in tepid water to clear problems, etc; etc; etc:, I will withhold for a time until you have covered the basics.

Some of it is not for the fumble fingered or feint of heart as it means stripping the printer right down.

A Google search will reveal all about the - "down and dirty" - on cleaning print heads manually if you are in a great panic, - and - without me being responsible for the demise of your Epson Printer. :rolleyes:

Advice. - Just go the calm and easy path to keep it working for many years Keith.

John. xxx

http://local.cameras...rdshire_EC.html

Online Printing

In my view this is the simplest way to print your photographs. There are a number of different websites that offer this service. Once your images have been loaded onto your computer you can upload them to a printing website. This is quite a straightforward process and is controlled by the printing website. All you need to do is follow the on screen instructions to select the photographs you would like to print and the print sizes you would like.

The turn around times are impressive. You can expect to receive your photographs through the post within a day or two. Small sized prints are available from around 5p. Websites offering printing services often have special offers running too. These help you to reduce the cost of printing.

Over the last few years I have used Online Printing companies on numerous occasions. I have always been very happy with the quality of the results. The company I use is Photobox. I'm sure other companies also provide a high standard of printing, but I have found Photobox to be excellent in terms of print quality and delivery times.

Follow this link to visit Photobox and check out their services for yourself: Visit Photo Box .

Printing in the High Street

Another simple method of printing your photographs is to take you memory card to the High Street. Many photography shops offer a printing service. Usually they have self service machines where you insert your memory card, follow the on screen instructions and make your prints.

Printing at Home

Home printers have fallen in price and decreased in size over time. This has encouraged people to print their photographs at home whereas they may previously have opted for professional prints. Despite these advances this is not an option I go for personally. As much as inkjet printers have improved in quality they still find it very challenging to match the print quality offered by professional printing services. To get the best results you will need to print on premium quality photo paper and to use high quality inks. Unless you are only planning to make the occasional print then the cost per print can also work out to be higher than an online printing service.

If you haven't retained the original operating instructions for the printer, some of it can be found here:

http://www.epson.com...86&infoType=Doc

The stripping down of the printer, soaking the heads in tepid water to clear problems, etc; etc; etc:, I will withhold for a time until you have covered the basics.

Some of it is not for the fumble fingered or feint of heart as it means stripping the printer right down.

A Google search will reveal all about the - "down and dirty" - on cleaning print heads manually if you are in a great panic, - and - without me being responsible for the demise of your Epson Printer. :rolleyes:

Advice. - Just go the calm and easy path to keep it working for many years Keith.

John. xxx

Following your first post, I removed the cartridges and wiped the heads with kitchen roll and luke warm water. I then wiped again with dry tissue. The result is absobloodylutelymiraculous!!. Prints are as good as they ever were. There doesn't appear to be any need to remove the heads. Very many thanks.

I'm pleased for you Keith. There is nothing better than getting an "Old Friend" up and running again. The number of times the missus has tried to get me to throw my old Epson 670 out without success is now coming up to Guinness Book of Records standards. :)

John.

I'm pleased for you Keith. There is nothing better than getting an "Old Friend" up and running again. The number of times the missus has tried to get me to throw my old Epson 670 out without success is now coming up to Guinness Book of Records standards. :)

John.

Does it use electricity or is it one of the old coal burning models?

• 5 years later...
On 1/10/2013 at 9:04 PM, andsome said:

Following your first post, I removed the cartridges and wiped the heads with kitchen roll and luke warm water. I then wiped again with dry tissue. The result is absobloodylutelymiraculous!!. Prints are as good as they ever were. There doesn't appear to be any need to remove the heads. Very many thanks.

? you clean head with warm water?

I clean my head and hair with warm water and shampoo every time I take a shower. I recommend the use of Vosene Shampoo - it gets rid of dandruff and leaves it nice and soft.  Also works on pubic hair 

I guess that if your Epsom printer ever gets a dose of dandruff - Vosene would clean that too.

10 hours ago, AlanHo said:

I clean my head and hair with warm water and shampoo every time I take a shower. I recommend the use of Vosene Shampoo - it gets rid of dandruff and leaves it nice and soft.  Also works on pubic hair 

I guess that if your Epsom printer ever gets a dose of dandruff - Vosene would clean that too.

I shower every day using whatever shower gel is in the bottle. I buy 500ML bottles from a shop in Lichfield for 99 pence each and decant them into a pump action dispenser bought many years ago from Safeway. The ingredients of all shower gels and  shampoos are basically the same, no sense in paying through the nose. for differering quantities of thickening agent, or fancy perfumes.

1 hour ago, andsome said:

I shower every day using whatever shower gel is in the bottle. I buy 500ML bottles from a shop in Lichfield for 99 pence each and decant them into a pump action dispenser bought many years ago from Safeway. The ingredients of all shower gels and  shampoos are basically the same, no sense in paying through the nose. for differering quantities of thickening agent, or fancy perfumes.

I bet that cheap stuff you use smells like a Mongolian wrestlers jock strap......................:laughitup: