I need help installing GTK

I downloaded the GTK "All in one Bundle" from their website, and later had trouble figuring out how to install it.

This is what I did. I have the zipped folder on my desktop. I right clicked on it and extracted all files to my desktop. So now, I have two folders there, the zipped and extracted. I don't have the slightest clue with what to do next. I thought that extracting the files would create a setup icon. I've been trying to research into the process, but I'm not understanding anything. Would anyone be able to help me?

GTK+ aka the GIMP Toolkit, is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces.

B-Dukes - what version have you downloaded ?

Windows, Linux or Mac ?

I have Windows 7, and I downloaded the package from this webpage. http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php

I clicked the link that said "All in one Bundle."

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

It would help if you told us what "GTK" is; perhaps a link to the website? It is certainly not something I am familiar with.

Basically, it's a desktop envireoment for cross platforms. I think KDE also does that. Anyway, this is the website. http://www.gtk.org/

The reason I didn't post any links is because I thought I read in the rules that links to software are against the terms. My mistake. Anyway, I was following along with this YouTube video on how to install GTK, but this guy goes a bit too fast for me.

At 3:00, I don't understand why we rename the extracted directory. And I don't understand what he did afterwards with the System Properties panel. I am all good up until this point.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9jdmtG1gM

At 3:00, I don't understand why we rename the extracted directory.

Did it become any clearer by 5.00 ?

Have you asked solutions from the original poster of the YouTube video ?

Are you here just to pump up the postings on this particular forum ?

Can you state the definitive answer that you would wish to receive ?

At 3:00, I don't understand why we rename the extracted directory.

1 Did it become any clearer by 5.00 ?

2 Have you asked solutions from the original poster of the YouTube video ?

3 Are you here just to pump up the postings on this particular forum ?

4 Can you state the definitive answer that you would wish to receive ?

1. I admit, I stopped watching it, when it didn't make sense to me. I don't want to do the wrong thing and mess up my computer.

2. I have not. YouTubers seem to reply once per question I ask on other videos. And I already left a comment on this one.

3. Please don't be rude to me. I'm here because I won't be given help elsewhere.

4. I want to know what the user did at 3:00 and how he did it, so I know what I'm doing to my computer.

It appears that I said my problem started at 3:00. That was my mistake. I'm having trouble finding the variables at 3:58. The user says to plug in GTK and GTK pixbuf as the variables, but this is where my trouble is being faced.

In my "Enviroment Variables" window, I have TEMP and TMP as my only variables while he has a bunch. I do not get GTK or GTK pixbuf by default in the list. I've been talking to him, and neither of us know what is going on. Can anyone help? Nevertheless, neither of us know what will happen if I do not plug in the variables.

I don't wish to be rude to you but, from the link you gave:

The packages here are for people who develop software that uses GTK+. This page is not intended directly for end-users. It is expected that people who build installers for GTK+ applications for Windows bundle GTK+ with them.

Are you a software developer who understands operating systems behind the GUI?

I don't wish to be rude to you but, from the link you gave:

The packages here are for people who develop software that uses GTK+. This page is not intended directly for end-users. It is expected that people who build installers for GTK+ applications for Windows bundle GTK+ with them.

Are you a software developer who understands operating systems behind the GUI?

I don't think that's being rude. I just found it unnecessary for that other person to assume I'm here for the fun of things and not for help. If I misread the message, I'm sorry.

To answer your question, no. I am not a software developer, but I was hoping I could learn from the right resources. I did manage to dualboot my computer by watching YouTube videos and reading articles. So I thought I could learn this as well.

Please don't be rude to me. I'm here because I won't be given help elsewhere.

I can assure you that if you contact GTK+ Support you will find them most helpful.

If you had followed the instructions following the YouTube Video, you would have have seen that there was a link to a text version of the tutorial. - You can find that here: http://vertrex.tk/forum/index.php?topic=22.0

Interestingly the author at the end of the narrative had this to say:

" No more! Please, no more! I can't take another crap from this tutorial!

Shut it you goofballs. This is the end of the tutorial. If you were paying attention and were following the instructions properly, you won't find yourself in trouble. If you are in trouble, contact @forums admins or make a post about it there, not here! "
It would seem that he is describing you as a "Goofball" - I was just being rude in the hope of following up and backing up his initial findings about people generally to help you gain a truthful perspective of your present standing in the circumstances.
He does tell you right at the top, to read it 67 times ! :)
I expect you can do that, or he is thinking that maybe you could try out to be a goofball in 67 different places across the internet.
Well................ There we go. - there are a few more of us at least who have helped pump up the forum postings.

Maneman, you have no clue what you're talking about, as you have a very impatient attitude. If you truly care about being helpful, then address cases maturely. I believe I already said that I wasn't here for the fun of things, so there is no need to get wise.

As for saying that I'm pumping up the forum space, you just created a giant hate post with fibbing information. That YouTuber didn't say anything againt me. You just made that up. In fact, he was being very nice to me. That entire post of yours isn't being very loyal to your point.

Besides, I already explored into those two links. I left a topic in the contact section. No one replied. And that link that the YouTuber left still doesn't get into the specs of what my concern is.

In my "Enviroment Variables" window, I have TEMP and TMP as my only variables while he has a bunch. I do not get GTK or GTK pixbuf by default in the list. I've been talking to him, and neither of us know what is going on. Can anyone help? Nevertheless, neither of us know what will happen if I do not plug in the variables.

address cases maturely.

After a certain number of years on earth, there can befall a certain mischevous phase that mostly affects men. This falls neither into the category of Alzheimer's or Dementia, and is endearingly referred to by us eccentric Brits as " Second Childhood ". I thought I just gave relevant information in a slightly quirky way. Since your remarks I find that I must re-evaluate my demeanour, and for this I thank you. I apologise unreservedly if you thought me rude or less than mature. There is though, I think most would agree, - every reason to become wise.

I am sure that if you keep following this thread, that in time someone will come along to help you with your current problem.

I'll be following the topic fine. If anyone has any advice on the matter, please do not let our debate stop you. Any feedback, helpful or not, is appreciated.

Back in post number 10, it was suggested that you try contacting the support for this product, here: http://www.gtk.org/support.php

Did you try it?

It would seem that no one to date has any experience of this software.

So, if you have not already done so, perhaps you should try the software support - not the YouTube option.

I'll be following the topic fine. If anyone has any advice on the matter, please do not let our debate stop you. Any feedback, helpful or not, is appreciated.

Back in post number 10, it was suggested that you try contacting the support for this product, here: http://www.gtk.org/support.php

Did you try it?

It would seem that no one to date has any experience of this software.

So, if you have not already done so, perhaps you should try the software support - not the YouTube option.

That's okay. And yes, I did try it out. It appears that the only way to contact GTK is through a help forum. I left a topic, and it was left untouched sadly. If people here do not have experience with it, then it's no biggie. I'm just looking for information. Thank you for your feedback.

But I will ask everyone something else since I'm not having any luck with GTK. Would anyone happen to know of alternative shells for Windows 7? (A shell is the overal appearence of an operating system.) I did a Google and DuckDuckGo search, but I still have yet to know what's good. If you don't know, don't worry about it. Like I said, I'm just looking for information.