Need a good free virus cleaner

A tough bug got by Norton. I have gone through all of Norton's removal tools. They did not touch it. My last resort is to try a good safe free cleaner. Please give my a couple of tried and true cleaners.

This virus grabs my Google search page and redirects it to a fake google search page full of ads.

I fully agree with Pat, having been bitten by problems with Norton in the past. The only problem is that it is extremely difficult to eliminate completely. I had to resort to completely reinstalling Windows to clear remnants of it from the computer. If you get rid of it eventually, then use a back up program and keep regular mirror images on a separate plug in hard drive.

For removal of Norton, always use the Norton Removal Tool :-

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Even then there can be problems. I eventually, after much scouting round their incomprehensible website, downloaded a removal tool. I was still getting problems with the removed program sending me messages to update. Eventually I managed to get in touch with one of their so called experts. He sent me another removal tool which also did not remove all traces. After yet another removal tool failed he phoned and talked me through editing the registry. Even that did not completely clear the computer, I kept getting reminders to update, and yet when I tried that, it then told me to download another update first. So as I said previously I completely reinstalled Windows. I would NEVER buy a computer without a full installation disc.

• 5 weeks later...

Try Avast.!! its best antivirus..

On what grounds do you make this claim, are you an expert? How is it a better anti virus than Eset Nod 32? Tell me what I am doing wrong in using Eset full security suite. In what way will Avast serve me better?

When I get asked I always just suggest something that's worked for me, I've never seen two independent test authorities agree on what's "Best".

In defence of avast! it's my default choice, I've tested quite a few alternatives but the first choice on the primary PC is always avast!.

A few years back it was easy to qualify as the best "Free" anti virus, AVG had some update issues and the scan options were daft, Avira had a nag screen. That was it, but now there are loads of options, many get regular testing at VirusBulletin and have good results. Not so clear cut any more.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what you are saying. I just get a bit niggly when people come out with such a bold statement such as ******* IS THE BEST!

It's a bit like you saying you are andsome............................ :yahoo:

Cheeky bugger!!!!!2z750ll.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I've using Avast Antivirus as my windows cleaner. For me it's a good application cause it's easy to use and it can also deal with other apps on your desktop that you're not using. It also scans apps before installing it to make sure it's not with viruses.