Away for a few days

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I apologize for disappearing like that...

10 days ago I was rushed to the hospital (I spare you the details), and a few days my computer followed. I tried for over a week to get it to connect to the hospital's Wi-Fi, but without success.

Today the allowed me to go home for a few hours, to do some important tasks, including Windows Updates. But at the end I have not achieved much....

Don't know when I will be permanently back; perhaps in a week or so...

Pat, very sorry to hear that you are having health issues. I hope it will soon be improved and you will be home again.

In the meantime, I hope you manage to find a way to connect to the internet - I am sure that I can speak for everyone when I say that your presence on the forum will be missed until you are recovered and back home.

Get Well Soon!

photo301102.jpg

What I managed to do yesterday was to kill Windows 10 completely! When I connected my system to my LAN at home, it immediately started downloading & installing Windows Updates. That's what I expected.

When it came to a restart, I went to lie down for a few minutes, and when I came back, the screen was black. Power Off/On just goes to that black screen at the end.

I am trying to set up a Windows 10 repair now, but so far I have not been able to complete the Windows 10 ISO on my old XP system! Something is trying to drive me crazy...

As and when you get it back you can get it to do a controlled restart/install (when you want) rather than the immediate install it tries to do.

In the Settings app, go to

Update & Security > Windows Update

and then click the Advanced options button.

In the drop-down box, switch the setting to “Notify to schedule restart.”

See Method 1 here :- http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automatic-updates-install-problem/

It's unbelievable how quickly an afternoon goes by...

I have managed to download the Windows 10 installer ISO onto an external disk.

The Microsoft Media Creation Tool as well.

Subsequently I found that I need a number of additional things to get that thing on a USB memory stick (including a larager 8GB stick)...

And just now it completed the generation of the bootable USB device. Up to phase two now - the Windows 10 repair. I have an hour, then I must go back to the hospital.

Thanks for all the good wishes, and also your PM link, Irene.

And just now the tool tells me that it has still been unable to run bootsect, despite me downloading the 32-bit version into the same folder as the rest of the downloads (that's what it says in the online help http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool).

I may get discharged from the hospital before I can fix my computer...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...