Getting rid of Windows 10 Download

Hendo1973

I'm very new to this forum, so if this question has been posted elsewhere then I'd like to apologise in advance for that.

I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate edition on my 7-year-old laptop and have been since Windows 7 was the newest kid on the Microsoft block.  It was a much-needed replacement for the frankly-awful Windows Vista that my laptop came supplied with.  When I heard that Microsoft were offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 I jumped at the chance, but on reflection have decided that my ageing laptop is probably not going to play very well with the new OS.

I've managed to get rid of the pop-up that kept appearing, inviting me to download Windows 10.  However, my Windows Update seems to be absolutely hell-bent on downloading the upgrade to Windows 10, which I'm concerned is blocking other essential updates from coming through.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way of stopping the deployment of Windows 10 via Windows Update so that I can get any other updates that might be pending?  I'm prepared to edit the registry if I need to (although I'd prefer to have full guidance on doing so).  If I need to, I'll wipe the laptop and reinstall Windows 7 from clean but I'd like to avoid having to do that unless I really need to.

Thanks in advance and anticipation.

The only way I found is to disable Automatic Updates and manually search for the updates through Windows Update. That way Windows 10 will not automatically download itself onto your machine.

When you go into updates you will see the one for Windows 10, make sure it is not checked to download onto your machine. HTH. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think it may be worth trying this procedure:-

1 You need to delete the Windows update No. KB3035583 This update was installed by Microsoft and it notifies you of the Windows 10 update and may be responsible for the attempted downloads.

Go into Control Panel/View Update History/You will see ```at the top of the page “To remove a update see installed updates” click on this & follow instructions to uninstall. If in future you do want to install Windows 10 you can re-install the update.

2 Once you have uninstalled it you should change the Windows Update settings to " Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and then run the Windows update again.

Find the update you don't want to have downloaded again, ie KB3035583, and highlight it. You then click "Hide". This will stop it being downloaded again.

If you want automatic downloads to install again, you will have to change Windows Update back to Automatic.

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

I've had problems too with my desk top W7 Home Premium SP 1 and downloads on automatic - with M$ sending down so called updates on auto and then finding that these were for setting up W 10 and the nag screen etc.  NOw know most mods and regulars have gone over to this OS but seemingly a few million of us W7 lovers are resisting being forcibly taken over by W10 :sign_groan:  After all I own this computer and paid for so own W7 and dont want a free W10 . So think its a bit of a cheek to force it upon us and by stealth. Makes me suspect their motives. 

And the fact that they are now sending down updates saying for W7 but in reality for W10. 

I spent hours trying to rid my computer of this only to find it sent back down or hidden come back and un- installed reappear. 

And found this and the inventer say he worked around and use it as own risk and I did. 

And free of all W10. Gone. And all working well.

So if you are still or anyone else wanting out of W10 and its forceful way and even though I had stopped auto still fooled me with saying for W7 and even marking one as important but still W10 :boy_cleanglasses:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html