What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Our usual Saturday evening baps. This time salt and pepper baps, filled with medium rare beef, and for me sliced onion, and for Er indoors , sliced tomato. 

Followed again by half a punnet each of strawberries, an apple, two or three clementines and a Fage yogurt.

Roast chicken today with the usual accessories.  I have revived my old vertical "spit" to impale the chicken on vertically. It cooks more evenly and with crispy skin all over compared with sitting it in a roasting dish.

(By the way - my vertical spit is actually a large stainless steel funnel that I keep in the garage- madam is not impressed)

Bought a turkey leg very cheaply the other day so, after 20 minutes in the pressure cooker to tenderise, it will form the basis of a nice curry.

The remainder will make a nice turkey and vegetable soup for tomorrow.

I didn't like the turkey in the curry yesterday - it had an odd flavour - so I'm abandoning the soup which was planned.

I'll decide shortly what to have and report back later.

3 hours ago, -pops- said:

I didn't like the turkey in the curry yesterday - it had an odd flavour - so I'm abandoning the soup which was planned.

I'll decide shortly what to have and report back later.

We love roast turkey hot or cold. But the smell of turkey being boiled for stock is revolting. I have used it in curry made from left over roasted turkey, and found it to be fine.

I find that re-heating chicken and turkey always produces a weird flavour. I can even taste it in a curry.

I have lost count of the number of chicken meals I have sent back in a restaurant because the chicken had obviously been re-heated from cold. In fact, I now warn them when ordering a chicken meal to ensure it is cooked from raw - and I don't mind waiting for it.

Some of my other restaurant pet hates are :-

People on adjacent tables talking loudly

Badly behave feral kids or babies screaming.

Dirty menus

Blunt dinner knives

Wine glasses that have not been polished

Any meal flooded with sauce or gravy - I always ask for them to be served separately. This also applies to Indian and Chinese meals

Waiting staff inappropriately dressed and/or impolite

Yes, the turkey leg was boiled from raw and it was truly unpleasant. As an indicator, even the dog refused it.

I've made some burgers from low-fat mince for tonight - with chips and marrowfat peas.

That's how it is with dieting - the closer you are to your goal, the more difficult it is to get there - exponential something or other.

What about ditching the eggs and replacing them with root veg:- carrot, beetroot, Kohlrabi, radish, mooli, onion, cauliflower, cabbage and any combination thereof all finely grated with a dressing of low (or no) fat fromage frais, vinegar and pepper !no oil! - very tasty.

Today is smoked haddock en croute (as per a couple of weeks ago).

Deep Fried Gluten free beer battered cod loin and McCain French Fries served with Mortons marrowfat peas and home made tatar sauce.

Followed by Scottish strawberries, raspberries and cream.

NOTE : We are not gluten intolerant - it's just that gluten free self raising flour produces nice crispy batter that stays crisp throughout the meal.

Mushroom soup (via the soupmaker machine) with cheese & onion rolls (via the breadmaker).

Note to andsome: the mushroom soup comprises 300g mushrooms, one medium potato, one medium onion and a litre low/no fat stock (a couple of chicken Oxo cubes, perhaps) Very low calorie and quite filling.

Saturday: boiled ham, new potatoes and broad beans with parsley & onion sauce.

Today: Ham & cheese omelette with a few Actifry chips. Ham is the remains from yesterday.

Sunday evening : Roast beef Sunday dinner.

Followed by English Strawberries and cream.  Strawberries purchased on Friday evening at M&S - reduced from £4.00 to £0.40 for a Kg after 7:00 pm because the date expired that day. They were superb - not a single fur coat on any of them and so full of flavour.