What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Just arrived home from shopping...

At M&S, we purchased two reduced price Smoked Haddock Florentine (Gastropub) meals for £2.95 each. 

On the packaging it was described as:  Smoked haddock in a rich cream & lemon sauce, topped with a garlic & herb potato and golden crumb.

Sounds yummy ? to me.  ?

The remains of the beef will be minced together with an onion and any leftover vegetables in yesterdays stew and turned into beef hash. A vital ingredient is a small amount of brown sauce - not enough to noticeably taste it as brown sauce, just enough to give a slight spiciness. Worcestershire sauce works as well.

Served with chips or mash (haven't decided yet).

I know the Plough well  - in fact it was the place I first met my wife 10 years ago.

We have had many lunches there when my wife owned a mobile home on a local woodland site and we would spend a few days there. 

I persuaded her to sell it - it was a money pit for what we got out of it. We would go for 3 days and I would spend 2 of them pressure washing the van, raking leaves, trimming bushes & trees and doing battle with the Japanese knotweed that infested the banks of the stream running through her garden plot.  It would then rain all night and the bloody noise on the van roof would keep me awake. If it wasn't the rain  - it was animal noises and the hooting of owls.

We have our granddaughters dog staying at the moment. She kept going through the patio door in the dark. Staying out for a minute, coming back and looking at us as much  as to say come and look. Eventually ‘Er indoors went out, and followed her through an archway at the bottom of the garden, tripping over some decking. A neighbour helped me to get her up. In the morning I thouht it advisable to call an ambulance. After an x ray and ultrasound scan. It was considered that she had severe internal bruising and muscular pain. Being a sufferer of osteoporosis she had got off light. It was too late to shop for fresh food, and it would have meant paying for a taxi. Hence today we are having an unusual meal tonight. Not wishing to wast the last of the fresh salad we are having freezer fish and chips, with a couple of sliced tomatoes.the rest of the coss lettuce leaves and a few radishes. I hate waste. We will doubtless enjoy this unusual mix.

18 hours ago, andsome said:

Er indoors went out, and followed her through an archway at the bottom of the garden, tripping over some decking.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s accident, andsome.  I hope she soon recovers.   

7 minutes ago, Irene said:

Sorry to hear about your wife’s accident, andsome.  I hope she soon recovers.   

Thanks so do I. We are living out of the freezer at present. Its a good thing that we have a decent sized one. I think its duck in plum sauce today with frozen roasters and frozen cauliflower. So much for loosing weight.

Thank folks. I changed my mind and decided to do rice instead with duck. I always use a microwave rice cooker. Our microwave is a combi, and inadvertently I switch convection mode on instead of microwave. I noticed a smell of burning, and it had been on for several minutes before I realised what I had done. The rice cooker is partly melted and completely ruined. There is melted plastic sticking to the microwave turntable. I have put off cleaning it until tomorrow. I have just ordered a new one from Amazon.