Creamy Chicken Curry

Irene

Personally, I don't like 'hot' curries.  Chillies rarely feature in my cooking...

Hence this particular recipe has always been my preference.

I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs, gently pan-fried immediately prior to making the curry.

Creamy Chicken Curry

image.png  Serves 4

Recipe from: Delia Smith's Cookery Course

Delia says:
This is good for either leftover chicken or turkey.  

It has a fairly mild curry flavour but you can "hot it up" if you like by adding a little more curry powder.

Ingredients
1lb Cooked chicken (450g) cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
2 tbsp Groundnut oil
1 Large onion, roughly chopped
2 Celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 large Green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 heaped tablespoon Plain flour
1 rounded teaspoon Madras curry powder
1 level teaspoon Ground ginger
1 level teaspoon Turmeric
1 Clove garlic, crushed
1 pint Chicken stock (570 ml)
2 tablespoons double cream
Salt and freshly milled black pepper

Method

• In a large flameproof casserole heat up the oil and soften the onion in it for 5 minutes, then add the chopped celery and green pepper and soften these for 5 minutes more.
  • Next add the prepared chicken pieces and toss them around with the other ingredients.
  • Now stir in the four, curry powder, spices and crushed garlic, and continue to stir to talk up the juices.
  • Next, gradually add the stock, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition. Season with salt and pepper, put a lid on and simmer very gently for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
  • Remove the curry from the heat, stir in the cream and serve with spiced pilau rice and mango chutney.

image.png

That looks like a nice recipe. The only issue I would have with it is the suggestion that you can use left-over chicken.

Left-over chicken when cold is OK - but I have an aversion to left-over chicken being re-heated because it significantly changes its flavour which I find unpleasant.

I can still detect when it is warmed up left-over chicken in a curry.  When we go to an Indian restaurant I always advise them when ordering that I will send the meal back if I detect that the chicken was cold and heated up. 

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

That looks like a nice recipe. The only issue I would have with it is the suggestion that you can use left-over chicken.

That is exactly why I use freshly cooked skinless, boneless thighs.  

I have tried it with leftover roasted chicken, but it’s nothing like as nice.

I particularly enjoy the presence of the celery and green pepper.  It’s a great way of using the thicker outer celery sticks. :wink:

1 hour ago, Irene said:

I particularly enjoy the presence of the celery and green pepper.  It’s a great way of using the thicker outer celery sticks. :wink:

Regarding the fresh vs reheated chicken, I entirely agree.

Regarding the use of green peppers -YUK. They dominate anything they are used in with a characteristic powerful "green" flavour. Ripe peppers are fine (red, yellow, orange) but green, never!