Why CCleaner Professional?

My wife's laptop has the free version - which means there are no automatic scans - it is manual. This morning she got a message that there is a later version available -  she clicked on download now. I got summoned when she was in a right pickle - the free download had taken her to a file hippo hosting site and she was presented with a number of download buttons - she pressed the wrong one.

I assume that Piriform have an arrangement with File Hippo so they get a fee when the free version is downloaded. File Hippo make their money by luring the unsuspecting into downloading software they don't need.

Such is life on the internet when you are not computer savvy.

To be fair to File Hippo they're a software hosting site with a pretty good reputation for hosting clean software and while they do host loads of commercial pay for packages, much of their stuff is freeware or open source and while they occasionally offer stuff during the download procedure that you may not want, it's easy to decline.

With all due respect Baelatucadrus, you will find not that File Hippo tend to bundle some software with crap that no one asked for. I think Crap Cleaner sone of them. Apart from downloading the software you asked for in the first place you have to be very careful on what you click on otherwise you will be landed with, for example, Bing being your main browser instead of Google. That was just a sample example. 

I don't think File Hippo do the bundling, that's down to the software creators who sometimes have reciprocal arrangements with other producers to help pay the bills. File Hippo do have pop ups suggesting other stuff when you download but as I said I've never had any problem declining it. I could of course be wrong but I don't think so.

That said whoever it is and wherever I download from, be it Snapfiles, FileHippo or Major Geeks I don't accept the default install if I can avoid it. I'll use the Expert mode whenever it's available as it usually gives you a better idea as to what's going on and if there's junk bundled with what you actually want.

It's always worth checking up on updates as stuff that starts as freeware can change over time, for example avast! anti virus started off as a freeware package with a few limitations, then over the years it has become increasingly irritating nagware trying to persuade you to pay for the full version at regular intervals, then they add the secure browser and while you can get rid of it first time around it just downloads and installed off its own bat. It still does a good job but has become a real pain in the posterior.

Whatever it is and wherever it comes from pay attention, clicking "Yes" on autopilot never a good idea you can end up giving permission for all kinds of junk.

57 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

I don't think File Hippo do the bundling, that's down to the software creators who sometimes have reciprocal arrangements with other producers to help pay the bills. File Hippo do have pop ups suggesting other stuff when you download but as I said I've never had any problem declining it. I could of course be wrong but I don't think so.

That said whoever it is and wherever I download from, be it Snapfiles, FileHippo or Major Geeks I don't accept the default install if I can avoid it. I'll use the Expert mode whenever it's available as it usually gives you a better idea as to what's going on and if there's junk bundled with what you actually want.

It's always worth checking up on updates as stuff that starts as freeware can change over time, for example avast! anti virus started off as a freeware package with a few limitations, then over the years it has become increasingly irritating nagware trying to persuade you to pay for the full version at regular intervals, then they add the secure browser and while you can get rid of it first time around it just downloads and installed off its own bat. It still does a good job but has become a real pain in the posterior.

Whatever it is and wherever it comes from pay attention, clicking "Yes" on autopilot never a good idea you can end up giving permission for all kinds of junk.

Fair comment Belatucadrus. I have found that going to the manufacturers direct site has always been the best plan. Whenever I have done a download of Crap Cleaner for the Laptop I have always gone to Piriform's website and pulled it off there rather than go through a third party site. 

Gandalph - it would appear that if you go to the Piriform site and ask for the free CCleaner version - you are automatically connected to File Hippo

Not what happens to me :biggrin:

From the https://www.piriform.com/download page, under FREE, click on Download and you don't go anywhere near FileHippo, it downloads straight from Piriform.

Capture.JPG

I have just tried it again on my wife's laptop by first doing a System Restore to go back to the state before I updated CCleaner. I opened CCleaner and it announced there was an update available which I clicked on - it ultimately took me to File Hippo for the free version.

So I used the link Boris posted to go directly to the Piriform site and that worked fine. No Hippo.

It's very odd. There is an elephant in the room.