Liver & Bacon with Onion Gravy

Irene

Liver & bacon with onion gravy

Prep: 10 mins Cook: 20 mins

Easy

Serves 2

A nostalgic thrifty dish that's rich and nutritious - serve the gravy drizzled over fluffy mashed potato.

Ingredients

·         4 rashers smoked streaky bacon

·         2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned

·         pinch dried sage

·         6 slices lamb's livers (about 400g/14oz)

·         1 tbsp olive oil

·         1 red onion, thinly sliced

·         300ml beef stock

·         2 tbsp ketchup

Method

1.   Cook the bacon in a large non-stick frying pan until crisp.  Meanwhile, mix the flour and sage, if using, and use to dust the liver.  Remove bacon from the pan and set aside.  Add the oil to the pan and brown the liver for about 1 min on each side.  Remove from the pan, then fry the onion until softened.  Stir in stock and ketchup, then bubble for 5 mins.

2.   Put the liver back in the pan and cook for 3 mins until cooked through.  Serve with the bacon broken over the top and some mash.

Healthy benefits

Liver & bacon is a really nutritious dish – one serving will provide... your day’s iron, zinc, folate and vitamin C. As well as being rich in minerals, liver is a good source of B12, a vitamin which helps your body to use iron. It’s also high in vitamin A, important for healthy skin, hair and eyes. NOTE: If you’re pregnant, avoid eating liver.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

I detest lamb's liver. Make it with pig liver - perfect!!

I just happened to pick some up from M&S on Saturday and stored it in the freezer.  I don't usually purchase liver of any kind because I'm not supposed to eat it - it can have an effect on my INR levels (I take Warfarin).  I do weaken occasionally though.  :wink:

• 1 month later...