Cant view my own topic

andsome

1 hour ago, -pops- said:

That's the normal message which comes up when you try and view a (freshly) deleted post or thread.

I am unable to explain why you are seeing it.

If no human deleted it, it have been :hi:one of those pesky gremlins who did it.. we need some traps laying on the forum.

22 hours ago, andsome said:

If no human deleted it, it have been :hi:one of those pesky gremlins who did it.. we need some traps laying on the forum.

It was Mahler. He did it andsome. He mustn't have liked the post so decided to nick it. 

I have set the new one up at last. They don’t make things easy. There is a very tiny screen on which you have to enter your wi fi password. That took several attempts,and at one stage I had to have a break to use some eye drops, it was not easy. I have printed a colour photo and a black and white scan. The uality is excellent,and if it carries on performing in the same way I will be more than satisfied. Thanks for all the advice.

On 01/02/2018 at 10:43 AM, andsome said:

Many thanks to everyone for their kind assistance. Being a long time Epson user I have ordered a cheap Epson from Argos at £43.99 , including same day delivery today between 2pm and 6pm. XP 342. I have checked with CHOICE, and they supply compatible cartridges.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5806216

Argos delivered me an Epson XP32. First impressions are mainly very good.  The wi fi is however a pig to set up.  You have to use a silly little screen measuring about 22mm  square. Having managed to get it set up, I tried a scan and print, the quality was excellent. I then printed some photos and the quality again was excellent.  There were software updates available, and these took about twenty five minutes. All in all I am well pleased but only time will tell. The one quite ridiculous thing is the price of Epson inks.  These work out for a set of three colours  and black at well over the cost of a new printer. I have tried one set of compatibles bought online at a fraction of the price. I usually use Choice staionery supplies, but they were dearer than cartridgesave.co.uk, free delivery next day.  Ordered as soon as I had set the printer up, and they were delivered this morning.

44 minutes ago, andsome said:

These work out for a set of three colours  and black at well over the cost of a new printer.

Been true for years, but you do need to be wary of direct comparisons, many printers are supplied with what the trade refers to as "Light use cartridges" or what the rest of us call boxes of mainly air. These are enough to get you started and running for a while, just not as long as you might wish.

I know the supplied originals are for setting up,and that Epson originals if you are wealthy contain much more ink than the set up ones. However, Epson originals at a higher price than the original printer is nothing short of daylight robbery. I am sure that compatibles are far better value.n

My current OKI C511dn printer has now been superseded by a new model - for which compatible toner cartridges have only very recently become  available.

One year ago I needed to buy a set of toner cartridges. They would have cost me cost me £279 if standard 2000 page original OKI ones or £128 if high capacity 5000 page compatibles.  I bought the compatibles.

However a laser printer has two other components that have a limited life - the fuser unit and the transfer belt which are expensive and compatibles not available. Whilst searching for the toner I noticed that some dealers were selling off their stocks of the obsolete printer model at various prices. I bought one for £140 which came with a set of the standard OKI cartridges. Hence I now have a new unused printer on a shelf in the garage to be brought into service when the present one breaks down or needs a replacement transfer belt or fuser. Daft innit - especially because the compatible toner is just as good as the original