I'm sure you all remember the scene from the classic movie

Belatucadrus

I remember police motorcycles and they were not like the one on this box.

I had two ex police BMW bikes. I bought them at an auction of such things (somewhere near Doncaster I think).

One was a 1000cc, which I sprayed red. and the other was 800cc which gained a coat of light blue. They were both "non-runners". Why they were being sold off I am not sure, because they were very easily corrected. They both had a faulty capacitor in the charging system and they were both put right for couple of quid.

They were both wonderful. I put a sidecar on the  blue 800 and used it not so much (mainly used if we were going out with "luggage"). The red one took us all over. We had a Tabbart camper and I made a motorbike trailer to hang on to it.

Mother and father had "moved on"  two or three years before and so we could set off and launch ourselves at the continental scene, for a month or two. The first over night boat going to St. Malo set off quite early in January so we went on that and arrived in St Malo just as daylight was also arriving.

In theory we should have had a night's sleep, but in reality we would drive as far as Nantes and spend a couple of nights there before launching ourselves at  the roads to the south.

I can remember the day's when they had their little two-stroke Noddy bikes, (we used to call them). I think they were BSA Bantams, with a couple of leg guards on the front. I think it was the late 50's. You could here them coming a mile away. :laugh:

..........little two-stroke Noddy bikes,.....

One of my sisters was successfully wooed by a clown who fancied himself as a bit of a "motorcycle ace". In fact he was an "ar*e".  He was a telegram boy on a BSA Bantam with ideas above his station. The Bantam gave way to a Fire Engine and funny day shifts and night shifts to ride about on it. Eventually, after many, many years he was "invalided" out......and my sister "invalided" herself to pastures new, after many difficult years.

I have just remembered that my other sister's husband was also a keen motorcyclist. He worked for a motor cycle dealer and he had a Vincent 1000.

He had a wish to go racing, so he stripped it down and hung a sidecar from it. He and a friend did the usual mods.

I think he did about three race meetings and then gave up, because there was no fun in just beating the field every time out.