Telephone Scam

AlanHo

I received a phone call on 10th Sept.

It was a recorded voice warning that I have committed a serious offence and will shortly have legal action taken against me. It was sent from Phone number 0203 286 3800.

The voice added that I will be arrested by the police unless I called a certain number to be advised how to avoid being taken to in court…..(I didn’t have a pen handy so did not make a note of the number  – it began with 020 and may have been the same number as above).

It was done very professionally by a well-spoken and articulate male who sounded genuine and very threatening – but was completely wasted on a cynical and scam wary old chap like me. Because of my deafness, I always have the home phone on speaker and Libby was able to hear the call. She too realised it was a scam straight away.

I fired up my computer and searched the web to get more information about the scam and learned that Bristol and other police forces have issued warnings about it

It appears that the scammer uses your home phone number to determine which town you live in.  If you call the number - you are told to go to a specified supermarket on a specific day and time, then buy £1000 of iTunes or gift vouchers and wait by the exit door where their representative will meet you. If you pay, they will call off the legal case and you will not be arrested. If you fail to turn up, the police will be waiting at your home to arrest you.

I ignored it and I am not writing this from a police cell.

A number of elderly people have fallen for this scam and are now seriously out of pocket. 

I have, of course, reported the matter to Action Fraud

Did they not provide a link in the Email  that looked like it was genuine - but wasn't?

The similar scam I have received (twice) had a link to click on.

Over the past 3 months I have received several scam Emails.

• The tax off owe me  a refund of overpaid tax amounting to £217.24
  • My facebook account needs to be reset (I don't have a facebook account)
  • My Skype account needs updating (I have never used Skype)
  • I can't remember the others.

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:

He went round the corner from me to a small industrial estate to a factory that sell's bikes and Motor Bikes and got one for £3.26 which included the fuse and eight inches of lead fitted to both sides. What is with that Chinese one for £63.07 is beyond us. Thank you for your time in looking up the above. Much appreciate. :good: