My New Pocket Knife

AlanHo

Ever since I were but a lad, and a boy scout ter-boot - I have always carried a small pocket knife.

Later in life I developed a preference for Swiss army knives and have had various models over the years. The latest one being The Explorer.

Knife.JPG

Coincidental with becoming a Swiss Army Knife fan many years ago - I developed a fetish for keeping the blades literally razor sharp. ( I couldn't afford a fetish in my early years). Regular sharpening, honing and leather stropping wears the blades down to the point where the end and cutting edge are exposed when folded - a danger you don't want in a trouser pocket so close to your dangly bits. Hence the knives get replaced every few years.

We were flying home from Zurich a few days ago and had got to the airport early. To kill time I did something I rarely do - browsed all the shops in and around the duty free, one of which was a Victorinox Swiss army knife shop.  I first saw this shop  2 or 3 years ago on a previous trip through Zurich and was then rather taken aback.

If I was to try and get through security at almost any airport with a knife in my pocket - it would be confiscated and in the USA I would get flagged on their system as a potential terrorist. In Zurich airport, you can check in with and buy a Swiss Army Knife knife with a maximum blade length of 15 cms and take it on the plane. Knives of other manufacture are excluded. The Victorinox assistant  when questioned by me said "Sir, I can assure you it is not a problem, The Swiss government looks after its industries"

So I am now the proud owner of a new Explorer Swiss Army Knife I just spent an hour sharpening to a razor edge. My dangly bits are much relieved - the old knife was getting risky.

To expand on the above :-

My new Swiss Army Knife (SAK) provides me with instant access to the following tools :-

Can Opener – great when camping. But we never go camping.
Small flat screwdriver – regulary used for levering things apart as well as light screwing
Philips screwdriver – occasional use when too lazy to get a proper one from my shed.
Large blade – regular usage for carving and cutting up stuff
Scissors – great for trimming finger and toe nails. Will even cut my big toenails which are very thick
Small blade – see large blade.
Magnifying glass – Used to read the very fine print on goods when shopping
Bottle opener – rarely used. I don’t buy drinks with crimped tops 
Small screwdriver – useful for electrical plug fitting when too lazy to fetch a proper one from the shed.
Wire stripper – I haven’t found this yet. I usually use my teeth after cutting round the insulation with a blade.
Reamer – great for bodging and reaming new holes in leather belts. I never wear a belt
Sewing eye – another tool I cannot identify. Perhaps it’s the hole in the reamer.
Corkscrew – now your talking – a great aid.
Mutipurpose Hook – a tool for hooking mutipurposes. I will find a need for it one of the days
Key ring – I removed it – keys get in the way when using the SAK for various purposes
Toothpick – very handy for those who have teeth. Not ideal for removing wax from ears
Tweezers – too lightweight for plucking whiskers from top of ears – or anywhere else