Portugal in September 2018

AlanHo

We are currently in Olhao,  Portugal Algarve staying with two friends in an apartment which faces the nature reserve.

It is a haven for bird watchers (the feathered kind) and there is a large flock of Flamingos resident here. I have never seen flamingos in the wild before – only in captivity.
This is the view from our balcony showing the abandoned salt evaporative pans – now home to flamingos and many other water birds.

LbqID6e.jpg

This morning the flamingos were in one of the salt pans 720 metres away as measured on Google Earth. I took this picture with my trusty Lumix DMC Lumix TZ60 at maximum 30x zoom. I cannot hold the camera steady at such a high zoom but had the balcony railings to rest the camera on. Even then it is not pin sharp.

JLHojJw.jpg

The flamingos are fairly timid creatures and it is not easy to get close to them. This is the best of the pictures I have taken so far during my morning walks across the sanctuary.

P3fzRrK.jpg

You can now have a laugh at my expense. This morning when the 4 of us set off for a walk, Libby wanted to take a photo of me wearing shorts – something I have not done for a very long time. I have some shorts which I claim to be the family tartan and a flat cap to match. It’s a con – I have no Scots blood in me.  Libby misled Graham, who is 6’ 4” (1.93 metres) tall, by asking if he could crouch a little because she was only taking head and shoulders picture - with the following result.  Graham is horrified. For heavens sake don’t tell him I have posted it here. As you can see, he is a youngster being only 78.

KiyoaRL.jpg

I think the phrase Graham is desperately trying to remember is

Onde fica o lavatório

You however should listen out for the following

Por que esse homem tem aipo saindo de suas calças

Neither is particularly cute but it appears I'm suffering recidivist tendencies, I will endevour to return to the new nice me in the morning.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:56 PM, AlanHo said:

We are currently in Olhao,  Portugal Algarve staying with two friends in an apartment which faces the nature reserve.

It is a haven for bird watchers (the feathered kind) and there is a large flock of Flamingos resident here. I have never seen flamingos in the wild before – only in captivity.
This is the view from our balcony showing the abandoned salt evaporative pans – now home to flamingos and many other water birds.

LbqID6e.jpg

This morning the flamingos were in one of the salt pans 720 metres away as measured on Google Earth. I took this picture with my trusty Lumix DMC Lumix TZ60 at maximum 30x zoom. I cannot hold the camera steady at such a high zoom but had the balcony railings to rest the camera on. Even then it is not pin sharp.

JLHojJw.jpg

The flamingos are fairly timid creatures and it is not easy to get close to them. This is the best of the pictures I have taken so far during my morning walks across the sanctuary.

P3fzRrK.jpg

You can now have a laugh at my expense. This morning when the 4 of us set off for a walk, Libby wanted to take a photo of me wearing shorts – something I have not done for a very long time. I have some shorts which I claim to be the family tartan and a flat cap to match. It’s a con – I have no Scots blood in me.  Libby misled Graham, who is 6’ 4” (1.93 metres) tall, by asking if he could crouch a little because she was only taking head and shoulders picture - with the following result.  Graham is horrified. For heavens sake don’t tell him I have posted it here. As you can see, he is a youngster being only 78.

KiyoaRL.jpg

Definitely not a pretty sight