TweakNow RegCleaner

Chris

The Registry is a heart and soul of any Windows system. It contains information that controls how your Windows appears and how it behaves. Most applications today use registry to store configuration and other important data. When you install an application,  a new registry entries will be created. This entries will automatically be deleted when you uninstall the application. Unfortunately, it is not always work that way.  Sometimes, you will find that some applications fail to remove their own registry entries. This entry will become obsolete.

After a long period, after installing and uninstalling a lot number of applications, your Windows registry will contain a large number of obsolete entries. This will significantly increase the registry size and thus will slowdown your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search, and read data from registry.

To keep your computer in top performance, it is recommended to periodically clean your Windows registry.

RegCleaner.jpg

More | Here

Ever since a total disaster with a Norton reg cleaner many years ago, I have been very scared of using this type of utility.

However, this morning I plucked up enough courage to download this and use it (after making loads of backups).

It ran through the scan and found 245 obsolete entries there many of which I couldn't remember ever being on this machine. Reassured by having my backups and the inbuilt restore option in the program, I clicked on the delete button.

Everything seems to be running OK. I will keep you posted if anything untoward happens. :mellow:

Following the advice, I downloaded and ran it. Maybe it's my imagination, but the computer does appear to be a little faster, although I was happy with it before. One more question. Everything is clicked for a scan apart from Applications section, which is available only in the commercial version. What, if any advantage, would it be to the ordinary user to have this facility available, and would it be worth while paying for?

Yep, it's worth paying for . :) Bits of old programmes, useless entries from bad applications, temp stuff dug in like fish-hooks, all get swept away with a good reg cleaner. I used two free ones, Easy Cleaner and Reg Cleaner for three years with no problems at all. Each found stuff that the other missed. Then I got put onto RegSupreme ( from Macecraft, the maker of jv16 ) and it's a most very excellent piece of kit. Free to try, v. cheap to buy from

RegSupreme

Tweak now found a few items yesterday, and after fixing them the computer did seem a little faster. I have just scanned with Reg supreme and it found 662 items which Tweak now did not find. I admit that I am rather scared of letting it delete these items. They include bits and pieces from Nero, installer patches, Real Player,Diskeeper,media player setup files etc etc. Any advice please?

Bin the lot :D

Bit the bullet and did it. At the moment it really does appear to have made a big difference in the time taken to open each program. Just in case though, can you please PM me your home address so that if anything is B******* up I can arrange to have you beaten to a pulp by a local gang.

:D

The bottom line is that you either trust your software or you don't. If Reg Cleaner, jv16 or Reg Supreme tell me that an entry is useless, who am I to argue ? So far, I've always deleted everything that any cleaner has turned up and I've never had a problem at all. I even ran '98SE for three straight years without a re-install. B)

Everything still appears to be fine except for the slight smell of burning, but I'm trying not to let it worry me.

:lol2: :lol2:

It's better now I've thrown a bucket of water over it

Thanks andsome, you've had me in stitches this morning :lol: :lol:

Hope it was nothing serious