Breaking news

andsome

Why am I not surprised?

The word "intelligence" does not fit well alongside any of: British, Secret Service, Military, Government, MI5, MI6, FBI, CIA, Gestapo, Stazi, or other of the euphemisms given to the secret spying organisations around the world, irrespective of their location or political view.

It is only a short step from what we have now to the extreme paranoia of Romania under Nicolae Ceausescu. :(

Why am I not surprised?

The word "intelligence" does not fit well alongside any of: British, Secret Service, Military, Government, MI5, MI6, FBI, CIA, Gestapo, Stazi, or other of the euphemisms given to the secret spying organisations around the world, irrespective of their location or political view.

It is only a short step from what we have now to the extreme paranoia of Romania under Nicolae Ceausescu. :(

One again very wise words from a fellow old fogey.

I'm no supporter of Blair (or any other politician) but let's wait for evidence - don't think it's wise to take the word of Clare Short without supporting evidence. She suddenly drops this out in a radio interview having known about it for ages - there's some sort of political game going on here. She and Cook have got it in for Blair. It'll all come out in the wash. :)

Anyway, spies spy on everyone - it's accepted. We spy on our friends as well as our enemies - as does everyone else. It's no big deal. B)

peter e

Why am I not surprised?

pops, without being disrespectful, tell that to the armed forces personell (and civilians) who's lifes have been saved over the years through intelligience received and passed on by these people, sure they have got it wrong at times, but they have got it right a lot of the times as well, but, as is the way of the world, a bigger hullaballoo is made when they get things wrong, or someone thinks they have overstepped the mark

Pops, I have to agree with you, people shouldn't be killing one another, but unfortunately it's a big bad world out there with all sorts of loonies, madmen and fanatics who would kill you and family without a second thought no matter your beliefs, for this reason alone we need strong intelligience and security forces. I'm not saying that MI5 etc. should be given a free reign, but we have to understand these people will look into things that we may not be comfortable with.

Whether surveillance is of use to our respective countries or not we have a moral duty, to our children if not ourselves, to stamp on the 'surveillance culture' whenever it rears its head.

The Tories appear to have passed over an opportunity to roast Blair. That implies that they are aware of such spying and are party to it when in power.

Any intelligence agency which reports back to a cabinet with Clare Short in it needs their heads read.

As I'm sure most of you will know, there is no need to manually "Bug" telephones to eavesdrop on conversation. Anyone using a Mobile or cordless phone is leaving themselves open to being listened on. :(

I do think that some of us will be surprised to know that anyone can buy a simple scanner from £10.00 up-wards and listen to our neighbours phone conversations and it may surprise you to know just how many people do this. :(

I do think that some of us will be surprised to know that anyone can buy a simple scanner from £10.00 up-wards and listen to our neighbours phone conversations and it may surprise you to know just how many people do this.  :(

Nosy buggers. Did you get the pun?

I do think that some of us will be surprised to know that anyone can buy a simple scanner from £10.00 up-wards and listen to our neighbours phone conversations and it may surprise you to know just how many people do this.  :(

A "basic model" bugging device needn't even cost that.

A glass at the wall has been used for eons to listen in to conversations.

Some time ago a "friend" asked me to ask my medico son if he could beg/borrow/steal a stethoscope for her. Deep questioning revealed that she wanted to listen in to what her next door neighbour was arguing with her husband about on Thursday and Friday nights after the pub :blink:

A "basic model" bugging device needn't even cost that.

A glass at the wall has been used for eons to listen in to conversations.

Some time ago a "friend" asked me to ask my medico son if he could beg/borrow/steal a stethoscope for her. Deep questioning revealed that she wanted to listen in to what her next door neighbour was arguing with her husband about on Thursday and Friday nights after the pub :blink:

We could have done with one of those some years ago, before the unpleasant character next door popped off. He used to bawl and shout some extremely unpleasant things to the poor woman, but we couldn't quite hear everything, and probably missed a few choice expressions.

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Contrary to popular belief...Spys don't spend all day drinking cocktails,shagging beautiful women and driving Aston Martin cars...

They get the low-down info on people in power...they snoop,they spy...they gather information about people in power.All for OUR own good.

GAh!!

THE former cabinet minister Clare Short vowed to topple Tony Blair if she was forced to quit the government, according to a close friend and colleague.

The maverick MP told George Foulkes, her former deputy at the Department for International Development: "If I go, I am going to bring Tony Blair down with me."

the Times

No surprise is it

Wrangling over the legality of the war will continue this week when Michael Mansfield, QC, asks the International Criminal Court in the Hague to investigate allegations that Blair is guilty of war crimes. The petition will also name Jack Straw, the foreign secretary, and Geoff Hoon, the defence secretary

hmm