32 members have voted

1. 1. Home Pro or other....and y?

• Windows XP Home
    • Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Me
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 95
    • Other (please specify)

I recently had to move from Pro to Home because a a certain "mishap"...I was just wondering what everyone else uses and y?

So far i Haven't noticed any difference at all apart from the obvious name change....

also a lot of people say they don't like the colors involved in XP

So i was just wanting to pick your brains on the topic... :)

Guest Blink_182_fan

I use windows ME the only reason i use this is because my motherboard is very old and wont support xp (as i was told by a person that was payed to upgrade my computer)

Guest Blink_182_fan

its not the same im getting a ex display model out of pc world hopefully but it will not have tv tuner that was just what the case looked like (thankfully a whole lot cheaper (im not spending £960 on a computer especially when i dont even have a job)

Guest Rebel=UK=

Dear God not pc world..... The 1st pc i bought was from Currys (part of the dixons group along with pc world) its was £500 for a 700mhz celeron 64mb ram and get this a 4mb onboard graphics.....i had it a year and got a m8 to build a decent pc for me for £250 ( Athlon 1.4, 256DDR, geforce 2mx 400, and MB and case) , i had this pc less then a yeah , still got most of it in bits in the corner of my room (seems a waste really as its still ok). I then paid £300 for this one i have now (not including £130 for my Graphics card). The only thing i have from that currys pc is the floppy drive and even that is crap.

What im getting @ is PC world rip you off 100%.

Guest Blink_182_fan

well i thought that to but its 2.8 128 graphics 512 ram dvd& rw etc and its is decent priced at 560 and my dads m8 he builds computers and this came up to way more that what pc world is offering for it but as i said it was an ex display model which ment it loses alot of its value and the only thing people cando with ex displaymodels is look at ads that pop up

Use XP Home simply because it is what came on the PC when I bought it - and I wasn't prepared to pay extra for Pro! Have a laptop with Win98 that I use on the occasional basis and a PII with .net 2003 server installed on it for 'testing'!

PCWorld may not be the cheapest in many cases but for some people they are a suitable place to shop. Providing you don't get taken in by any sales pitch for extra warranty or overpriced cables then you can get some reasonable deals - and in less time than you would from the online supplier.

Guest Rebel=UK=

Asus A7N8X-VM nForce2 (Socket A) Micro ATX Motherboard £58.69

AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000+ 333FSB (Socket A) CPU £108.69

Antec LANBOY Aluminum Super Mini Tower case - 350W

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 160GB 8MB Cache £74

Corsair 512MB DDR £76.96

Hyundai ImageQuest Q770S 17'' Perfectly Flat CRT Monitor £105.69

Connect3D ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB & Half Life 2 Bundle £110.39

=£534.42

(inc VAT@ 17.5%)

CASE

lanboy.jpg

Guest ellas

xp pro for me also used home and theres not much difference,me is a unfinished mess but a lot of the features have come over to xp,98se was ok,better off building your own puter cause if it goes wrong you can fix it straight away. :)

Guest Blink_182_fan

i have no clue how to i can put a hardrive and graphics card in but then the rest i dont have a clue how to(i know how to put hd and gc in because i watch my dads m8 do it serveral times

Guest ellas

its easy even nellie builds her own,once you do it theres no worry about sending it back and losing your computer for weeks if it develops a fault,theres pictures somewhere of nel building hers. :D