1. 1. Home Pro or other....and y?

• Windows XP Home
    • Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Me
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 95
    • Other (please specify)

Guest Blink_182_fan

it depends ill try and get the pb first but if all else fails(likely to happen i will get another one which is all components and rebel what site is that PC off??

Main OS of choice Win 2000 pro.

I also have some 98 boxes, a linux box and a pair of machines with Novell Netware 6.5.

Never liked ME, who could use an operating system named after a disease? And it was a bit of a case of microsoft taking 98 too far.

As far as I am concerned with XP, they have tried to go too far. I don't like the way they have tried to build everything into one package, and then do their best to stop you fiddling with it. I am awaiting the arrival of Longhorn, but do not expect it too be all that, it will probably be worse than XP in that respect.

Guess I shall stick with 2K and delve further into the dark side of Linux.

Mr. M.

This thread seems to have lost its way big time.

To get back to the point, I use XP Pro because I was a beta tester for what became XP and the version for testing was Pro. Thus I became used to it and when the time limit expired on the test product I bought a full version of Windows XP Professional and have stuck with it ever since.

I install XP Home in computers I assemble if people specifically ask for it but in general, again, I stick with Pro.

I have one machine with 98 First Edition and two with 98SE. :P

The most recent one bought had XPro preloaded (but no disk) - had to get rid of it because it didn't like the hardwares I wanted to use.

Can't afford prima donna operating systems that won't use the equipment I've got (also can't aford new hardwares to satisfy prima donnas).

It is as simple as that - nothing to do with what I like and dislike - or performances &etc.

its easy even nellie builds her own,once you do it theres no worry about sending it back and losing your computer for weeks if it develops a fault,theres pictures somewhere of nel building hers. :D

Here is the thread.... it is a bit messy because the smiley links are broken etc (take no notice of the unregistered thing..... that was a bit of silliness :blush: )

http://www.windowsforum.org/forum/index.ph...topic=5342&st=0

I have XP Pro now... I bought it from Ebay.

Started off with W95... then upgraded to 98SE and stayed with that for a long time. I had problems with XP to start with so I went to W2K which is great. But we use W2K at work and every time I switched on my PC at home it felt like I was at work!! :(

I have played around with Knoppix too. But am quite happy with XP Pro for now.

Guest Blink_182_fan

too bad i just went out and bought a new computer today its great it came with all this free software and i also got norton security 2004 for half price :D

well this poll has shown me that I'm not alone in using XP home....cause when i lost PRO last week i though it was quite a bad thing

but now I'm quite happy with what Ive got... :P

Another Question: whats the difference between Redhat...and redhat Pro....its just i seen them in the shops today and the price difference was about 100 quid :o

At work I have 2K - at home have just built a new PC with XP Pro - (old one had 2K on it), and laptop has XP Home. I'd have rather had pro on the laptop - but Home is what it came with.

Both the XP ones have been customised to look and act much like 2K, as I wasn't really into all that hand holding that XP likes to do.

The colours ?

Well I wasn't keen on the hill background, but it was more the things like the control panel having most things hidden, C:/program files not being immediately browsable, everytime I put a CD with data in it asking me if I wanted to play the music files, print the images or whatever else is on that list ... and so on.

I didn't like the new start menu either.

I've gotten used to it now.... I don't mind the start menu and to be honest the thing I do most is right click on the start button then click on explore... it takes me straight to my directory tree and I usually acess the folder I want from there..... I got used to browsing my folders that way in W98SE :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Drovers Dog

:P

I have a dual boot System, using Win98SE, on the first Partition, then XP Home on the second Partition! With 3 more Partitions for common use!

It basically means that I have TWO different Computers, within the same Computer!!

It was a real challange to set up, and I had heaps of problems with NEW Hardware, including the Mobo, replaced, under Warrantee!

But what a wonderful Dual System it has turned out to be!

My Kids can play ALL the old Games they used to under Win98SE, yet still access XP!

My next one will be Win95/Win98SE/XP Home!!

Then they should be able to play the old DOS Games Win98SE, rejects, I hope?

Blink, Andy and Besty, don't be frightened to try new things, you young ones are a big part of our Future!

We Oldies will always try to help you where we can!!

You can always PM someone if you need some help!!!

:censored: :D