Hard drive problem

A friend bought themselves a new hard drive, formatted it and loaded the os on... having a few probs there but that is another story. The main problem is the second hdd.... which was always a slave, and has all the info and important stuff on. All of a sudden it won't play ball. Nothing has been done to it but now Windows takes and age to load, the drive can be seen in the bios and in device manager.... everything looks ok but it isn't in my computer.

I put the drive in my machine too and am having the same problems.. I changed it to secondary master but that didn't change anything.......... any ideas?? :huh:

Nellie, this sounds like it is possibly a security rights issue.

What Os was on the machine previously, and what os have you now put on it?

Does the drive appear listed in Disk Management (under admin tools > computer management) and if so what does it say about it?

As you state you think it is formatted in NTFS, I am assuming it used to be either 2k or XP, have you tried to recreate an administrator account on the new setup, with exactly the same name and password. Not sure if that will work, but worth a try.

I think you may have to use something like NTFSDos, and copy the data off the drive, then reformat it, before copying the data back from the new Os.

Mr. M.

The drive was previously on WXP.... I can't see it in disk management and that is another funny thing, normally when I go into there the info usually pops up straight away but now that I have this hdd attached to my system it took about 30 secs to find and display the disk info!!

I haven't tried creating a new acct.

Good idea about NTFSDos.... I think there is a link on the forum somewhere for it..... I put it there at some point or other!! :blush: