Details: Linux Challenge 2004

Chris

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of Linux has forced me to dig out my Year One tutorial on UNIX and start playing around with that wonderful thing known as the vi editor.  No wonder someone developed Word :)

Ah the days of chmod, grep, ls, ls-l, pwd all come flooding back...oh the fun I had when I was young!

I had to use vi to install Nvidia drivers :o

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally bit the bullet. I was pretty impressed, under 20 mins from boot with dvd to online in Mandrake 10.

All I need to do now, is have a look round, check for drivers and things and then have some fun.

Here is a pic of my new desktop (default at the moment) just for proof.

Mr. M.

post-49-1084571935.jpg

Is that it, this is all that needs to be done?

I'll be back with screenshots shortly. 

:wub: Penguins, playful, powerful, smart dressers to boot.  :wub:

Can have more if you want...

Just a few shots of installing application via the command line, through the yast control Center, and Online Update.

Ripping Audio Cd,s Burning Audio CD's, Copying a DVD, Playing a DVD, Watching television, listening to the radio, Playing MP3 files, a few applications--DigiKam, Unreal tournament..........

32 shots in all, on the page below clicking the arrows will advance or go back in the pictures, clicking on the picture will give a larger view.

LinuxScreenshots

I believe the screenshots show everything required plus some, after all if it were not installed none of it would have been possible, the screenshot of this website is of Konqueror, note the nice Nvidia theme/skin on KDE. If I have missed one of the items let me know.

Linux is my desktop operating system of choice I have it installed on three PC's and my laptop. :wub:

Well i haven't found much I am not capable of doing. I am however lousy at explaining things. I always do my best to help out when I can. Things are really easier then most people think.

Linux isn't difficult, breaking peoples bad habits they acquired from years of using one operating system is the hard part.

You challenge really wasn't a fair one for me to participate in, I accomplished all the things in your challenge in 1999. So it was merely a matter of taking some screen shots.

It is always fun however to show folks that linux is indeed a competitive desktop operating system. I play games watch television, listen to the radio, ogg and mp3 files(40 gigs of them sshhhhhh) Watch DVD's burn all my CD's, All my digital photos and web albums are done in linux, ............ It's unlimited what you can do if you really want to learn how to do things in a new way.

Not to mention it is fully compatible with 64 bit and 32 bit processors and more types of processors and hardware then Microsoft knows exist, then toss in 2500 free applications, it's server, web server and database capabilities and you have an operating system that Microsoft would charge you 10's of thousands of dollars for.

Simply put I love it. :wub:

Did you join this forum because you had seen the Linux Challenge?

Nooooooo.......... he realised that me and Jazzy and Artist and ChristmasCracker and Don't Ask and TracyLynn and maddogmatilda and all the classy girls are here.... so he couldn't keep away........obviously! :rolleyes:

Did you join this forum because you had seen the Linux Challenge?

Nooooooo.......... he realised that me and Jazzy and Artist and ChristmasCracker and Don't Ask and TracyLynn and maddogmatilda and all the classy girls are here.... so he couldn't keep away........obviously! :rolleyes:

Partyyyyyyyyyyyyy Girls WooooooooHoooooooo

Specially them Southern I love to ring their belle girls. :blush:

Just got done installing SuSE 9.1 on my laptop. Updating everything in the online update. Very sweeeet Operating system.

Configured every bit of hardware on install including the smartlink winmodem woooooohooooo.

Getting the newest kernel now.

Gotta get me an AMD 64 bit processor for a desktop machine. SuSE has had support for them for almost a year now. :D

• 2 weeks later...
he changed his moniter over to the other slot on his graphics card....

either that or he used : linux nofb apm=off

both of which dont work for me

well silly me is having yet another go...... :rolleyes:

this time im using a phisically seperate 3gb hdd

I insatlled redhat 9 and got the same problems as before.....

but i apon rereading this topic i had a thought......

see in the above quote.....do you put that (linux nofb apm=off) in before the install of when you press a or e or i or somthing at the boot loader?

Hmm....

Mandrake 9.0 / 9.1 / 9.2 [i purchased this] / 10.0

Redhat 8.0 / 9.0

Fedora Core 1 and 2

Knoppix

Mainly just to see what was new and what I liked so in the end I stuck with mandrake...But downloaded FC2 because it was "all the talk" and wanted to see it in action and am impressed with it :o