Details: Linux Challenge 2004

Chris

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the information of anybody who is interested, Mandrake 10 is on the cover of the current "Linux Format" magazine. Either 3 cd's or the dvd version, which also contains a whole host of Linux apps :D

I can't remember the title, but there was another magazine next to it, with the SuSE 9.0 distro on the cover.

Mr. M.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know that this may be straying from the real challenge but

My trusty HP can not access my restore disk so I am understandably reluctant to muck around too much. I have downloaded and tried a copy of Knoppix and like what I see it runs fine from the CD but I can not access the web. On BB with BT Voyager USB modem can someone advise if it is possible to find and install drivers to browse the web using this version.

It should actually be possible, but it will mean configuring the modem every time you boot.

You will either need the files on a seperate floppy or cd (you will also need a second cd drive for this) or you can save the files required onto your hard drive and load them from there.

I cannot help you with the actual procedure though. Sorry.

I will check the Knoppix site.

Mr. M.

It should actually be possible, but it will mean configuring the modem every time you boot.

You will either need the files on a seperate floppy or cd (you will also need a second cd drive for this) or you can save the files required onto your hard drive and load them from there.

I cannot help you with the actual procedure though. Sorry.

I will check the Knoppix site.

Mr. M.

:thumbup: thanks MrM

Mind, if you find a solution you may have to walk me through it, not very good at this sort of thing :down:

Not really going to be able to walk you through, I am going to try a Mandrake Install soon.

However, try these.

http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html

http://christophe.delord.free.fr/en/adsl/debian.html

found those from http://www.linuxquestions.org which you may also wish to have a look around. The general advice, seems to be to get an ethernet based connection, but I have to say these answers all seem to be cop outs. It obviously can be done, just needs a bit of fiddling. In my experience, a bit of fiddling is the best way to learn. Plus, as Knoppix runs from the disc, no matter how much you fiddle, you are just a reboot away from a fresh start.

Good Luck. Mr. M.

Decided I needed a distraction from the things I'm supposed to be doing so dropped the Redhat ISO images I downloaded ages ago with the intention of installing on to CD. Had even gone to the trouble of getting hold of an second user PC to use so I didn't destroy anything! Just installed Redhat 9 in about 1hr and it all works. Am amazed it just works. It even managed to install my HP Deskjet 930c printer that was plugged in but not turned on. Got itself connected to the network and is online and waiting for me to do something with. Nearly as easy to get going as .Net 2003 Server was!

Challenges? Is that what you call them ;)

Depends on how slowly this PC runs (its PIII with 256mb RAM) as Redhat seems a lot slower than .net server was!!! Thats just wrong.

Have installed Flash plugin for Mozilla and just downloading something called Sawmill which I use for analysing server stats so shall see how that goes.

Can't do CD burning as I don't have one on this PC and as it is compact (compaq!) can't fit one. May did out an old external one and see what happens with that. I like a challenge!