Details: Linux Challenge 2004

Chris

Could anyone possibly explain (for someone else, not for me) any advantages Linux has over Windows?

Well it's free! :rolleyes:

:unsure:

And it's not written by Microshaft :D

Seriously, when installed and running properly, it is far stabler than windows, it is far less prone to viruses and things, and it is much easier (once you have learnt how to use it) to configure the os the way you want it to do things.

Mr. M.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fancied trying this for a while.  An attempt a couple of years ago never got past the installation.  That was from a CD on the cover of a magazine.  Do you know of a more friendly version available on a current magazine? (I don't fancy downloading a version using my 56k modem)

scotty, I cannot give you a definite magazine title, but various forms of Linux distro's are nearly always available on the front of magazines.

I have to add, that it will almost certainly be on the dvd version of a mag though, they do not have the room on the cd versions.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

expertec: is this the file name of the driver you used to install your BT 100 modem?

eciadsl-usermode-nortek2021.tar

If so where did you put it in or whatever?

If not where did you get the drivers and whats the file name?

Sorry, I don't have a BT 100 modem, I use Blueyonder and it's connected to my network card. I'll have a look at that site for you, see if I can make sense of it :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't have a BT 100 modem, I use Blueyonder and it's connected to my network card. I'll have a look at that site for you, see if I can make sense of it :rolleyes:

Ok sorry i must have missread somthing...i had a wee look at your wee tutorial....look quite difficult but il just print it out someday....

Right now...im gona get linux installed

Well thats it I officially give up :P

WhY?

I cant do it...it dosent work...it sucks

Ive had to reforamte about 6-7 times in the last week and ive had to reinstall everything again and again....

And now my internet isnt working for internet games (admitdly that has nothing to do with this)

So i just give up....i really dont want to but i cant be bothered having to install everything over and over again...

Well if i go for text install i can install it fine

If i dont go for text install my moniter goes onto stand buy after the probing bits....

When i do install it form the text install everything goes well till the first reboot....i choose linux from the bootloader list and it loades some stuff (black screen white writing) then it goes onto stand by again...

My moniter dosent seem to show anything graphical concerned with linux :unsure: