The Neo Planet Folding Team

popeye, mark2 and gagaman. Thanks for the advice guys and thanks for the welcome.

I have a gig of RAM and a 1Mb connection, so running larger units shouldn't be a problem(famous last words :D).

As to flagging, I have already flagged it with advmethods, forceasm and verbosity 9(thank you anyway gagaman for posting the tutorial on how to do this :)).

Another quick question, is there any performance increase if I configure my anti virus s/w(Panda)not to real time scan the exe files associated with F@H?

Thanks again guys.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought... shouldn't it be the Neo Planet Folding Team now? :rolleyes:

have to get Andy to change the name

dagwoood I don't think you'll have much of a performance hit with your a/v scanning the FAH exe, I believe it only scans on the launch of the exe, a few seconds added I'd imagine.

Keep in mind that this doesn't garantuee to receive the large wu's.

Well....after I configured F@H to receive larger WU's if available, my systems now working on "p1137_p1131_L939_K12M_355K" that has a preferred deadline of 46 days! Aren't I the lucky one :D

My P4 1.6 used to clear those in 3-4 days running 24/7, it'll be complete before you realise  :D  nice points there

Mark2, I couldn't believe the amount of points for this WU. It's been running off and on since yesterday lunch time, and it's just over the halfway mark to completing(222/400). At least it's giving my CPU the ultimate stress test :D

Well, "p1137_p1131_L939_K12M_355K" finished yesterday evening(Friday, 25th)and now my systems working on another biggy, "p1132_L939_K12M_355K".

Am I lucky to get 2 large WU's in succession in view of what gagaman posted?

Keep in mind that this doesn't garantuee to receive the large wu's. But the chance of getting them is a little higher.

Just a thought... shouldn't it be the Neo Planet Folding Team now? :rolleyes:

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/changeteam.pl

but Andy2004, being the team founder, should do this.

Am I lucky to get 2 large WU's in succession in view of what gagaman posted?
Ermm, I just meant that it wont guarantee you to receive big wu's. should have leave out the "little" ;)
But the chance of getting them is a little higher.

EARLY_UNIT END:

Quite possibly the most common error found today. EARLY_UNIT_END is usually caused by one of two things: a bad WU or an unstable system.

If you get one isolated EARLY_UNIT_END, it's most likely just a WU that is bad. It's not a problem, and you shouldn't worry about it. It's usually caused when atoms in the WU reach impossible positions and Gromacs can't continue.

Multiple EARLY_UNIT_END errors are a sign of a severe problem with your machine. Machines that are clocked too high, have heat problems, or possibly have SSE forced on (AMD only) will generate this error. You should stop F@H if you get more than one EARLY_UNIT_END per week per machine, and certainly if you get two in a row. Make sure your machine is up to spec, with reasonable temperatures, reasonable clocking (CPU, FSB, and memory must all be stable), and a good, powerful PSU. EARLY_UNIT_END is most often caused by problems with a user's machine, and an abnormal number of them certainly merits examining your system.

gagaman, thanks for the reply, I'm grateful for all the detail you've provided :)

My temperatures seem fine(CPU temperature is 48-50 degrees c under load), I have a new 500w PSU, it's also a new motherboard and new hard drive(all these courtesy of installing a graphics card that killed the PSU, and I think damaged the hard drive and m/b! :( )

Something I've had to do with the new m/b is run my RAM at 166MHz instead of 200. One stick wont run at 200MHz and I put it down to that I didn't purchase my RAM as a matched pair, even though I bought them at the same time and they're the same spec/make. I've been putting this situation down to a foible of my new motherboard as they ran at the correct speed with my old one.

Methinks I may have a duff stick(or even 2), probably due to my PSU incident.

I'll see if I get any more early unit ends and go from there.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Edit: I don't run my system overclocked.

Now that Andy has deleted/disbanded I'm not sure of the correct term, Windows Forum Folding Team.

How do we rename ourselves at Stanford and still keep our Team Number and Stats?

There are only a few of us left now from the original crew and it has crossed my mind that it may be worth while to join up with a bigger team.

Any thoughts on this members.

Sorry. This was meant to go in the Neo Folding Forum bit but I got it wrong somehow, perhaps Admin can put it right for me please. :)

Done :D

• 3 weeks later...

The FAH client for boinc is in beta testing for the moment. I'll keep you posted when its goes public.

For over a year, we have been working with David Anderson's group at Berkeley to develop a FAH client for BOINC. We have been analyzing whether it would be an appropriate platform to add, as an additional client for Folding@Home (much like Google Compute is an additional client), considering the many complex aspects of a FAH/BOINC port.

After much planning, developing, and testing, we are now at the point where we will soon start a public beta. There will be more news soon. For now, we wanted to simply make an announcement of the existence of the FAH/BOINC client. A more open beta test will be forthcoming in the next days to weeks.

Finally, I want to make it completely clear that the FAH/BOINC client is an additional client for FAH, and thus FAH is not "switching" to BOINC. The development of the FAH client will continue as our main client, and we will port features to BOINC as appropriate.

Our goal is to make it as easy as possible to contribute to FAH, and with an even larger group of donors, we would be able to tackle even more complex and challenging problems -- which is the reason for FAH in the first place.

Professor Vijay S. Pande, PhD

Director, Folding@Home Distributed Computing Project, and

Assistant Professor of Chemistry and of Structural Biology, Stanford University

• 2 weeks later...