The Neo Planet Folding Team

I am affaid to say that i have stopped folding, as the software was causing problems to my system, OK i could put up the black boxes that appeared over certain graphics, but the system hangs/crashes i could not put up with.

I uninstalled the folding software and i know have a nice stable system again.

Cheers

Tony

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am affaid to say that i have stopped folding, as the software was causing problems to my system, OK i could put up the black boxes that appeared over certain graphics, but the system hangs/crashes i could not put up with.

I uninstalled the folding software and i know have a nice stable system again.

Cheers

Tony

Pity about that Tony. To date I have had no problems with my computer at all since I have been folding. I just would not know that it was running.

After running non stop for several weeks, I have decided now to call it a day. I know that the advice is that no harm will come to your computer, but it does run at about plus 10 or 12 degrees above normal, and being on a pension I have now decided to play safe and give it a rest. If anything packs up, it will leave a big hole in my pocket. Best of luck to all the folders.

• 1 month later...
Just an update for everyone while the Folding forums are still down, we're in the top 650 and soon to hit 100,000 points.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=37446

Would be nice to have some more folders on the team tho, you know you want to  :D

I'll have a think about it today. I'll have a read up first though

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

popeye, thank you for the welcome.

I'd assumed that if I enabled the highlighted item I would receive larger work units, I just wandered whether the credits you got for the larger units reflected the extra processing time that a larger unit would take to complete.

I've had a look on the windows folding forum but couldn't see anything that relates to the F@H manager.exe(I can't find this item in my F@H directory). What sort of machine spec are you looking at to be classed as capable of processing the larger WU's, as I couldn't see anything that relates to this either? :(

Cheers, dagwoood.

Hi dagwoood welcome to WFFT thanks for joining us :flowers:

for the larger units it is recommended you have 512mb of ram and a fast internet connection.

I'll try to find the original links to back that up. :D

in general terms the larger units do have a better points per day average

I've just checked in task manager and I'm using 200mb for FAH. :blink:

post-5-1111567256_thumb.jpg

Welcome to folding. Great you joined.

Mark is right larger units are more rewarded. You definitively should have 512 ram or more. If you have 1GB ram (or more), you can also receive cpu intensive wu's. At the moment Stanford is giving out the new QMD core:

How much memory does it use? It will have strong molecular system dependency, but for many systems it will be over 512 MB. We are planning to simulate some systems that will require up to 1GB of main memory (or even more).

If you have that much ram, its worth considering to add the -advmethods flag.

Adding flags

1. Stop fah in taskmanager.

2. Create a shortcut of the fah.exe (the red icon) to your desktop

3.rightclick the shortcut, go to properties

4. add the " -advmethods flag" -->it should look something like this: "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\FAH.exe" -advmethods

there should be a space before the - (so [space]-advmethods

5.close the properties window.

6. doubleclick the shortcut to start fah again.

Keep in mind that this doesn't garantuee to receive the large wu's. But the chance of getting them is a little higher. Also, by using this flag, your fah is setup to receive beta wu's, so its possible they dont finish correctly. But as far as I know, you will always get some credit for crunching, even if the wu got corrupted.

One side remarq: I noticed you using the graphical client. The console client seems to be a little faster in crunching wu's. It also can be setup as a service, so it will always be running. You can easily monitor the console with a thirdparty utility like EMIII or FAHmon.