The Windows XP Service Pack 2 Topic

Chris

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Execution Protection

Execution protection (also known as NX, or no execute) prevents code execution from data pages such as the default heap, various stacks, and memory pools. Protection can be applied in both user and kernel-mode.

It also forces developers to avoid executing code out of data pages without explicitly marking the pages as executable. This promotes good software engineering and best practices for application and driver developers.

Execution protection is an operating system feature that relies on processor hardware to mark memory with an attribute that indicates that code should not be executed from that memory. Execution protection functions on a per-virtual memory page basis, most often changing a bit in the page table entry (PTE) to mark the memory page.

aka = http://www.windowsforum.org/forum/index.ph...=post&id=108749

I too use google bar, but surely it will do no harm to leave XP pop up stoper switched on as well.  Or will it?

Taken from the google help pages:-

Q. I already have a pop-up blocker. Are two better than one?

We recommend that you uninstall any pop-up blocker that you currently have on your system. The Google Toolbar has not been tested with other pop-up blockers and running two pop-up blockers at once may cause what's euphemistically known as "undesired behavior." If you're happy with the pop-up blocker you have, you can turn off the Google Toolbar's pop-up blocker feature by clicking the Options button and unchecking the box next to the Pop-up Blocker

Further to cc`s post about the pop up stopper I did not realise I had 2 running.

But if you are happy with the Google pop up stopper turn it off then as soon as the XP pop up stopper kicks in it notifies you and if you click on that bar it gives you the option to turn it off, then you can turn the Google pop up stopper back on.

I've done it

I plucked up the courage and installed SP2 on one of my subsidiary machines. So far, everything is OK.

Bit of advice, though. Turn off PrevX if you use it and also the registry guard of Spybot S&D. These pop up every few seconds during the installation and are a right royal nuisance having to click ok each time. Alright, they're only doing their job but it gets a bit irritating after you've clicked the mouse 100 times in as many seconds.

Well, let's see how it goes.

SP2 is now on my main machine.

Bit of a scare on the reboot as it seemed to die for a few seconds but I think it was just making its adjustments to my settings.

Everything is AOK.

I'll leave the other machine until tomorrow - too much excitement for one day.

Unfortunately, I don't know!!

I installed SP2 on two machines with it running - that's what made me comment - I was getting sore fingers clicking the mouse by the end of the second install.

I've searched in the files to find out how to turn it off but can't.

On the machine I'm doing now, I uninstalled Spybot and will re-install later.