ISP Home page

Gandalph

Hi all. I've been unable to get into my home page since Thursday night. I ordered Broadband last Saturday and the connection date is 23rd Jan, (Monday coming) and wondered whether or not it had something to do with a change over. I received my router and filters this morning but I am not going to attempt to connect until Monday after 20:00 hrs as per instructions that came with the software. If I try earlier and run into problems I won't really know whether it's because I am not connected or if it is faulty equipment.

Can someone try to access www. bt.yahoo.com and see if you can get the home page up and let me know. I can get into everything else on the net except the BT home page.

I've done all the usual checks in IE and Mozilla and made sure the default settings are for that page and they are OK.

I've just had a message that says "URL not valid".

That's odd init?

Yep, I think the page might be down catgate. If I try to access it in IE I get and error saying Page could not be found Blah Blah Blah. When I try to access it in Mozilla I get the progress bar slowly going up, as if loading the page, then Done comes onto the bottom left of the screen, a white screen with the Yahoo red Y logo in the top left corner.

Many thanks for giving it a go catgate, I think they may be having problems if it's more than me unable to get the page up.

Hi all. I've been unable to get into my home page since Thursday night. I ordered Broadband last Saturday and the connection date is 23rd Jan, (Monday coming) and wondered whether or not it had something to do with a change over. I received my router and filters this morning but I am not going to attempt to connect until Monday after 20:00 hrs as per instructions that came with the software. If I try earlier and run into problems I won't really know whether it's because I am not connected or if it is faulty equipment.

Can someone try to access www. bt.yahoo.com and see if you can get the home page up and let me know. I can get into everything else on the net except the BT home page.

I've done all the usual checks in IE and Mozilla and made sure the default settings are for that page and they are OK.

Workimg fine for me Marra, I can get the Broadband home page, access my e-mail,and got onto the BT yahoo home page from Google http://uk.broadband.yahoo.com/.

Maybe you will have more luck now, BTW my Broadband or my sisters would not work with both filters connected.

Still not working for me.

I have tried through my Yahoo home page and it tells me the same story... page could not be found

So what filter filters are you refering to Lester1? The physical line filters supplied by your ISP or software filters?

Still not working for me.

I have tried through my Yahoo home page and it tells me the same story... page could not be found

So what filter filters are you refering to Lester1? The physical line filters supplied by your ISP or software filters?

The inline filters supplied with the modem, in both installations I could not establish a connection. Took one out and hey presto lift off

Working fine for me Marra, I can get the Broadband home page, access my e-mail,and got onto the BT yahoo home page from Google [url=http://uk.broadband.yahoo.com/]http://uk.broadband.yahoo.com/]

Just tired that Lester, still not working for me. I managed to get the uk.broadband.yahoo.com page up but when I click on sign in or the Home button exactly the same thing is happening. The progress bar does it's stuff and done comes up in the lower left hand side of the screen but still no bt,yahoo.com home page appears.

Thanks for the info on the filters. I'll bear that in mind in case I get a hitch when installing on Monday night.

Many thanks for trying marra. :flowers:

Yep I can get that page OK, the log in page, but when I try to get to the home page it only comes up with a white screen with the BT Yahoo logo on the top left hand side. Weird stuff.

Anyway thanks all for trying. I'm going to leave it until tomorrow night after I have installed the filters and router, any problems after that and I'll give them a ring to find out what's going on. It's been working fine for six years on dial-up.

When I got my Onetel BB there was a long taradiddle about doing the connecting in a certain sequence. "Plug this into that, then that into this and do not pass go before you have shaken a six" type of thing. Maybe your problem will disappear when you set it all up accordingly. But that does not explain why I can not get your http://uk.broadband.yahoo.com/ URL

edit: I have just tried again and I get a page with photographs and "stuff". May be it had a little quirk last night??

If you're going on to BT/Yahoo Broadband (which I'm on) I seem to remember that there is a specific software disk that needs to be installed before you can access the "inner sanctum" of BT/Yahoo BB and their browser.

Have they supplied a disk or at leat an address where it can be downloaded? I can access the Software Centre here

The only thing I use BT/Yahoo for is the excellent spam filter that is fitted - I empty that every so often but otherwise I use Firefox as my browser.

Hi pops. Yes I have the disc with the software on ready to install tomorrow night after 20:00 hrs as per the instructions. My problem is not with the Broadband Homepage, it is with the Dial up Homepage, which incidentally is the same homepage for both which is www.bt.yahoo.com. In the instructions that came with the broadband software it says (after everything is connected and up and running of course) "Why not start at the BT homepage at www.bt.yahoo.com. Fair enough, it's exactly the same homepage as dial up. The problem I have is that since Wednesday night (bearing in mind I've altered nothing and downloaded nothing) I have been able to log in but not get the homepage on screen. I've checked all my settings and all is OK. All I get is the progress bar doing it's stuff, then down the bottom left of the border of the browser the word 'Done', top of the screen area of the browser I get the Yahoo red logo 'Y followd by the words bt.yahoo home but just a white blank screen. I can get anything else that BT has on the web on screen except that homepage. Strange goings on somewhere. I've asked my son to try it but as yet have not heard from him.

I'm not worried about it as I will give them a ring once everything is up and running tomorrow night if the same problem persists . It does seem strange though, as mentioned above, I can everything they have on the web except that one page.

Many thanks for your attention to this problem pops.

Problem Solved

I checked everything it was possible to check and was still getting the same result, nothing. I did an sfc /scannow to check the system files and bingo Homepage is back up and running.

Thanks to all who contributed ideas for this problem, it's very much appreciated. :flowers:

I know nothing about broadband on anything but cable. Do you HAVE to use a CD on BT, is there no way out of this? I used a CD the first time with NTL, but with a new computer and newer installs I just configure by hand, so there is NO software on the computer at all. This is surely preferable. The modem does not need to be installed, it simply plugs in.

Problem Solved

I checked everything it was possible to check and was still getting the same result, nothing. I did an sfc /scannow to check the system files and bingo Homepage is back up and running.

Thanks to all who contributed ideas for this problem, it's very much appreciated. :flowers:

Well done Marra is everything OK, you don't seem to be on-line at the moment you said your BB would be activated at 2200 hrs. :(

Well done Marra is everything OK, you don't seem to be on-line at the moment you said your BB would be activated at 2200 hrs. :(

Hi Lester. I installed BB yesterday (Monday 23rd) and all went according to plan. I must say though I don't like this BT software at all. I will try and get round it as soon as I find out what it is all about. I'm using Mozilla at the moment and much prefer it to the BT browser. I'll have to see how it goes.

I know nothing about broadband on anything but cable. Do you HAVE to use a CD on BT, is there no way out of this? I used a CD the first time with NTL, but with a new computer and newer installs I just configure by hand, so there is NO software on the computer at all. This is surely preferable. The modem does not need to be installed, it simply plugs in.

Yes andsome, there is installation software on the BT disc for the router. It also installs crap like messenger and on screen (or off-line) help programmes in case you get into trouble so you can help yourself out. Load of crap really. :D

Now then I've just had thoughts. Can anyone recommend a good BB usage meter as I am on a 2 Gig cap and would like to monitor my usage.

I had similar misgivings about usage at first. I put a query out on WF and pops said he thought I had no need to sorry because 2G is enough for anyone normal. He has proved to be correct as far as I am concerned although I do not down load DVDs, Films, etc.

I have a thing that came with my installation CD from Onetel, but it has me wondering what it is all about.

I had similar misgivings about usage at first. I put a query out on WF and pops said he thought I had no need to sorry because 2G is enough for anyone normal. He has proved to be correct as far as I am concerned although I do not down load DVDs, Films, etc.

I have a thing that came with my installation CD from Onetel, but it has me wondering what it is all about.

It looks as though it could be an Upload/Download sort of speedo.

Like you I don't bother with Music, Films, DVD's or anything like that. I watch the odd news clip and that's about it. I wanted one just to monitor the usage for the fist couple of months just to give me an idea of what was going on. Thinking about it 2000 Megs divided by 30 days = 66.66 megs per day (if I've got my sums right) and there is no way I will using that amount.