Java 2 RTE

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Question.

What's the difference between downloading the offline file from here than say from here ?

Notice that the file name is different?

jre-6u12-windows-i586-p.exe

jre-6u12-windows-i586-p-s.exe

They also differ in size.

Their digital signatures are different - one is 31 seconds older than the other.

Now the reason I ask [and this may reveal the answer] is that that I've been installing the -s version stuck behind a proxy and when the installation comes to the end I am presented with a proxy login. In other words the installer is asking to go to the internet. So much for an offline installation eh?

Now when the installer first runs it does say that it will send non personal info :: http://java.com/en/data/index.jsp to which there is a link to the offline version, but it points to this one http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Hmmm so the offline version is only offline if you are not connected to the internet.

If you wish to disable the collection and transmission of this data, you may choose to download and install the full 'offline installer' version, and make sure you are not connected to the Internet at time of installation.

I'll try the non -s version next time...you never know.

:huh:

Very good observation - I will go and ask someone at the Java forum.

And while I am at it, I will also ask: what is the difference between the

• Windows Online Installation (jre-6u12-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe; 584KB)
  • Windows Kernel Installation (jre-6u12-windows-i586-p-iftw-k.exe; 222KB)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I haven't seen any 'optional files' recently - what were they? Fonts?

Optional Files File Description and Name Size

Windows Online Installation

jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw.exe 0.68 MB

Windows Kernel Installation

jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw-k.exe 0.22 MB

These..........???

These..........???

You just select one of these download files (jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe, jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw.exe, jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw-k.exe); each will install Java RTE at the end.

These..........???

You just select one of these download files (jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe, jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw.exe, jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw-k.exe); each will install Java RTE at the end.

I didn't go for either of those I picked the offline version - don't know why.... :D

File Description and Name Size

Windows Offline Installation

jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe 15.50 MB

• 10 months later...

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 20 is now available.

If you already have JRE 6 Update 1x installed, there is no longer a need to uninstall it - Update 20 is an update to this version.

If you have JRE 6 Update 7 or earlier, these must be uninstalled before or after the Update 20 installation. (Click: what is my current Java version?)

Note: Make sure to uncheck offers for any unwanted toolbars during the installation.

P.S. check your Java settings; they may be reset during the install process.

You're welcome :)

In the past, I have always downloaded the installer from the java.sun.com or www.java.com website. Today I have used a different approach - I don't know why I never thought of that previously. Seems much simpler to me...

From Control Panel, open the Java applet, tab Update, then click 'Update Now'

post-1524-12714087678_thumb.png

You're welcome :)

In the past, I have always downloaded the installer from the java.sun.com or www.java.com website. Today I have used a different approach - I don't know why I never thought of that previously. Seems much simpler to me...

From Control Panel, open the Java applet, tab Update, then click 'Update Now'

post-1524-12714087678_thumb.png

I noticed that after the download it had gone to 'automatic update'. I've left it at that....We'll see if it actually works.

Pat, any idea what the deal is with the deployment.properties file?

On installing jre-6u20-windows-i586-s.exe (I use jre-6u20-windows-i586-s.exe /passive) the deployment.properties file does not exist. However if you open the javavcpl.cpl in the control panel the file is then created. Previously the file was present on install and I could then write to it.

UPDATE: I manually installed it and voila the file is there.

p.s. The file is located in %appdata%\Sun\Java\Deployment on XP at least.

deployment.properties seems to contain the settings from the Control Panel Java applet. It seems that if you do an install with the downloaded installer, these properties are not preserved, as I have noticed in the past, and as Artist pointed out in her post.

This time, when doing the update via the 'Update Now' button, the file and its contents are preserved.

Ah, this would be for new installs.

dep.prop' is not present until you open the cpl.

I write the proxy server and proxy type to this file; saves having to type it in manually.

I'll see what happens if I try and create it...