Is Microsoft about to release a Windows "kill switch"?

CurlyWhirly

Article

I don't know whether it's true or not but if so it would penalise legitimate Windows users by forcing them to install WGA :0

By the way, I can't understand why Microsoft are putting in so much effort with XP now as it has been around for over 5 years and with Vista due to be released soon, I wonder why they don't concentrate on this instead i.e. making Vista more difficult to pirate when it's (eventually) released?

All of this recent messing around with WGA is experimentation prior to installing in the super-duper version in Vista. Heaven knows how restricting that will be.

Interesting newslink, SM :)

The more I read about Vista the less interested I become. Any operating system that needs the power of Blue Gene to get it to outrun a three legged tortoise, is a serious misappropriation of resources that should be allocated to whatever program you're trying to run. I'll be hanging on to XL like grim death and then giving serious consideration to the alternatives when pushed into it.

Arthur Linux? Do you mean, Linus Torvalds?

No I mean Arthur Linux.

The story about Linus Torvalds is all fiction.

Arthur Linux was the son of a tripe dresser in Huddersfield, who went to Grimsby Piscean University to study the art and science of Mushy peas. It was whilst he was there that he invented a computer operating system. So as not to interfer with his more serious work his mother came up with the story of Linus Torvalds.

I thought everyone knew this.

I didn't know that :0

I must say that although I think Microsoft tricked people into installing it by not telling them that WGA would 'phone home' every day and also including it in the security updates, I think it's taking it a bit far classing it as true spyware IMHO of course.

Besides, it doesn't appear to be damaging your PC like the Sony rootkit did.

But even those who have questioned the behind-the-scenes activities of Windows Genuine Advantage say the Microsoft tool doesn't appear to do anything damaging.

"It doesn't seem to me that this particular incident rises anywhere near the kind of damage that is normally associated with spyware," said Lauren Weinstein, co-founder of People for Internet Responsibility. "That's not to say that Microsoft should have done it the way they did. ... But that doesn't necessarily make it illegal."

Arthur Linux? Do you mean, Linus Torvalds?

No I mean Arthur Linux.

The story about Linus Torvalds is all fiction.

Arthur Linux was the son of a tripe dresser in Huddersfield, who went to Grimsby Piscean University to study the art and science of Mushy peas. It was whilst he was there that he invented a computer operating system. So as not to interfer with his more serious work his mother came up with the story of Linus Torvalds.

I thought everyone knew this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Scarecrow Man. You should know better than to query a catgate fact.

Thos.

The more I read about Vista the less interested I become. Any operating system that needs the power of Blue Gene to get it to outrun a three legged tortoise, is a serious misappropriation of resources that should be allocated to whatever program you're trying to run. I'll be hanging on to XL like grim death and then giving serious consideration to the alternatives when pushed into it.

I totaly agree.

Thos.