Motherboard questions

rong

I have just bought an Asus M2N-SLI deluxe motherboard, and have some questions, 1 what dose a SLI bridge do and where dose it go, 2 I only have one ide connector and it will not fit between the dvd drive and the hard drive, I know I can buy a SATA hard drive and use that, is there an alternative as I don't realy need another hard drive. Also can you buy SATA dvd drives. Thank you for any help.

I haven't been all the way through the motherboard book but have not seen anything to answer my questions.

I have just bought an Asus M2N-SLI deluxe motherboard, and have some questions, 1 what dose a SLI bridge do and where dose it go, 2 I only have one ide connector and it will not fit between the dvd drive and the hard drive, I know I can buy a SATA hard drive and use that, is there an alternative as I don't realy need another hard drive. Also can you buy SATA dvd drives. Thank you for any help.

I haven't been all the way through the motherboard book but have not seen anything to answer my questions.

I think the bridge is if you want to use two video cards, probably to render games or video faster, but not into it myself.

Thanks for the bridge answer, I have just found it on the last page, would still like to know if I have to buy a SATA hard drive though, the wife doesn't know how much I have spent already so more expense will be pushing it. Also I can't get it running until it's sorted.

Super board rong. I have the same in my new build with 3x300 Gb satta2 drives and a PCI SLI express16 256Mb video card, AMD Athlon 'AM2' 4200 dual core CPU powered with a 530 Watt Hyper twin rail PSU. It rocks! B)

You are not running a DNA database for your old firm are you?

Super board rong. I have the same in my new build with 3x300 Gb satta2 drives and a PCI SLI express16 256Mb video card, AMD Athlon 'AM2' 4200 dual core CPU powered with a 530 Watt Hyper twin rail PSU. It rocks! B)

No, not quite, well connected to the topic though catgate. B)

but I do have a lot of data to hold. Only items salvaged from my old machine where two quite new Maxtor Diamondmax 80Gb 8mb cache drives. These are now in Icybox USB2/firewire caddies and connect to my machine for off site storage. That makes 1.6 Terabyte of storage Curly

No, not quite, well connected to the topic though catgate. B)

but I do have a lot of data to hold. Only items salvaged from my old machine where two quite new Maxtor Diamondmax 80Gb 8mb cache drives. These are now in Icybox USB2/firewire caddies and connect to my machine for off site storage. That makes 1.6 Terabyte of storage Curly

How things change "640k ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates (1981) :lol: :lol:

Problems, switch on nothing happens apart from a flash of lights. Can I put a 300 w Psu on to the mother board to try it, it hasn't got the extra 4 pins, dose this matter, and last do I need to screw it in. Last again is there anything else to try first, have tried a different cable and plugged it in again. It's a new case.

Have you cleared the CMOS ?

No, do i need to? the light comes on on the motherboard, and when I short the power switch I get rapid bleeps and the Cpu fan moves. Have checked all the connections and moved the ram around. Have only one stick and it's different to my other DDR 400 so i can't try one that I know works.

catgate, The power supply.

• 2 weeks later...

replace the video card, i had a Gforce 6600 do the same thing. i spent months replacing PSU's to discover it was that. had it happen with a 5200 too a while back.

try resetting the Cmos first though, that can be the root of all evil too.

PS- DDR2 is VERY problemattic, with voltage settings at 1.8v and memmory running at 2.2v+. problems are Enevitable.

Not to mention both AMD and intel Putting home brewed Memory controllers in the proc's these days. just one more way to make us consumers into a smaller market :(

but try those up there first before all.

if all else fails, take a paper clip, and put the tips in the Green and black pins on the 20/24/20+4 main molex adapter. MAKING SURE YOU HAVE THE POWER OFF TO THE POWER SUPPLY AND SOME LOAD ON THE POWER SUPPLY(CD/DVD driver, hard drive something. dont want it to blow if it is good right?) and throw the switch on the PSU. if it is good, the fan on the power supply will turn on, and the device connected will power up.

Little trick of the trade.

!Root!