No More Clean Installs Using Upgrade Discs With Windows Vista

Chris

When it comes to the Windows Vista, Microsoft is changing a long-standing tradition when it comes to upgrading from a previous version of Windows. No longer will popping in a disc of a previous version of Windows during setup satisfy the people in Redmond when using an upgrade CD.

For example, when performing a clean install of Windows XP Professional using an upgrade CD, users would run through the normal setup routine until prompted to insert a previous version of Windows. A user could pop in a Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD for upgrade compliance and then the setup routine would move along as usual.

Microsoft has cut out this process for Windows Vista and forces users who buy an upgrade CD to actually have a valid install of Windows XP Home or Professional on their machines before upgrading.

More | Here

You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista

Doesn't affect me but that sucks...

For once - I agree with Microsoft. There are lots of illegal XP installations where people have bought an upgrade disk and borrowed a mates Win 98 disc to enable the installation.

This way - if you have a legal copy of XP installed you can then do a Vista upgrade - if not buy the full version. It is one more step to try and reduce piracy which costs all us legal users indirectly.

Regarding pricing - that is up to Microsoft - but remember that a fair chunk of the UK price will be VAT of course.

I will now seek refuge in my bomb shelter.

Surely the answer is easy. DON'T use Vista until such a time as you build/buy a new computer. I certainly have no intention of even considering an upgrade.

You see this from the wrong side; this is not about users who want to upgrade, this is about people who want a fresh install, but only want to pay for the upgrade version.

heh ...sky newsdesk have a tame geek trying to load Vista on a PC there at the news desk , hes now going onto his third hour , they are running out of things to say to him , waiting for the startup screen ....!

he said he had to do a few geekish fiddles to get this far .!..... that's me up the Khyber for sure ....

think I'll give this a miss a few years

Im not feeling the Wow