Vista works best with 4GB RAM

Chris

IBM'S David Short, who has been working with Vista for a couple of years, is convinced that the operating system works best if it has 4GB of RAM under the bonnet.

Speaking to Computerworld, Short said while 2GB was the sweet spot of his XP machine, he needed double that to get Vista to its Nirvana.

The main reason is because Windows SuperFetch, which takes data from the hard drive, stores it in the available RAM and makes it readily accessible to the processor.

If the software thinks that you are going to want a particular application at a particular time, it will have it loaded into the available RAM. The plus side is that with more RAM, there's more caching and better software response. Of course this means you need a lot of RAM.

He warned punters should beware of hardware vendors who flogged Vista Capable machines based around Vole's minimum spec.

While Vista might run on 512MB of system memory and a processor that is at least 800MHz “its heart will not really be in it”.

Apparently Vole agrees with Short. Its demo PCs have been loaded with 4GB to show off the operating system in its full glory.

More | Here

If you don't hear from me after March 3rd - you will know the upgrade of my computer and Vista Ultimate went awry.

I am having a new motherboard, Intel Core 2 duo E6600 processor, 2 GB RAM (now under review following the post by Chris), a new graphics card, Vista Ultimate and MS Office 2007 Standard - for a total cost of just over £500. A darned site less expensive than a new computer from the many sources I have checked prices with.

There was no need to change my Antec case, PSU, twin SATA hard drives, floppy/card reader, monitor, speakers, keyboard or mouse because they were all well up to requirements.

The only problems I know of is that my 10 month old HP scanner lacks a Vista driver (The HP site says it will be available shortly) and my Netgear WGR614 v 5 wireless router may not function properly according to some confusing info gleaned from another forum. If anyone here can throw light on the subject - it would be appreciated.

my Netgear WGR614 v 5 wireless router may not function properly according to some confusing info gleaned from another forum. If anyone here can throw light on the subject - it would be appreciated.

I look forward to any views also. I hadn't heard that but my Netgear router doesn't show up as a problem on the Windows Upgrade Advisor Site.

Thos.

I wonder what the uptake will be with Vista, especially with the over pricing over here. I question the need for most people. Is it just a case of keeping up with the Jones's? If so forget it, I'm a Jones, and I'm keeping my money in my pocket. :D

Did I ever tell you the story about the first computer I ever worked with had 4KB of memory? (Yes, 4096 bytes - the thing was as big as my garage.)

P.S. the thing did not have a HD.

Amazing how fast things have progessed in so few years. ;)

This is pure speculation on my part because I know next to nothing about programming - but thinking back to when computers had tiny hard drives and very limited RAM - I bet programmers had to be very clever with coding programmes to squeeze the most out of limited hardware.

Nowadays - with massive storage and RAM available - I wonder if programmers have an easy time and no longer need to be so clever. They can write hundreds of thousands of lines of code with gay abandon knowing that Intel, AMD, IBM etc will keep up with their greedy needs.

I also wonder whether computers would be faster and more effective if programmers went back to their old ways and were forced to be economical with their coding - yet have modern hardware to run it on.

Just a thought......... :blink: