Open Office 2 Releases

Alan2273

I did try it once, but could not find an equivalent program to MS Publisher, which is the part of Office 2000 that I use the most, with Word and Outlook also getting plenty of use. Does this new version rectify this?

These are the components of Open Office:

Impress

math

draw

calc

base

and

writer

Look after Publisher, andsome. I read somewhere that it's being discontinued.

I have Office 2000 on two C.D's and have a copy of each for safety reasons. Publisher is extremely useful for personal greetings cards. I get a lot of pleasue from making them.

I have just used Open Office to create a draft hand bill for a farmer friend, who wanted something knocking up for a chap who is having a farm "open day".

Using Write it is possible to do most things that Serif DTP would do. You can insert text block, picture block shuffle things about and, sometimes, even get it right.

Incidentally I am not on OO 2.2. yet.

openday.jpg

Open office draw will do similar things to publisher, but if you want to go the whole hog try Scribus.

http://www.scribus.net/

Had a look at this with the intention of giving it a try, even though Publisher does all that I want. It seems full of bugs at present, with a more stable version to follow, and something else needs installing first. I will exercise caution for the time being. If you hear any more at a later date I will be interested. THANKS for the thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to install the new version but it went through the set-up then came up with 'error 1935 etc'. Now I have lost my previous version & settings & does the same if I try to re-install the previous version.

On the open office forum it directs me to a fix but couldn't understand it. Others on there seem to be having the same trouble.

casey.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I understand it the only real difference between Star and OpenOffice is the support package provided for users by Sun for people who buy the Star license, not sure if any free versions qualify. You can get Star 7 as a free download, but that's older than OpenOffice 2 which I think equates to Star Office 8, which as far as I know isn't available as a freebie.

You're correct about Star being available as part of the Google Pack but again, though the site doesn't specify, the picture looks suspiciously like Star 7 again.

• 2 months later...

OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 is now available.

OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 includes a security fix, minor enhancements, and bug fixes to all its core components. OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 is available for immediate download and the new features are described in the release notes.

Release Notes: http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.4.1.html

Download: http://www.openoffice.org/