Update BIOS - How do I do it?

Panarchy

Hello!

I am wondering how I can update my BIOS... I can give you all the info you need, if you can just tell me a good syspec program to use (CPU-Z stuffs up)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I want to update my laptop's BIOS as well, lenovo T60 (IBM) with 1GB of RAM.

Update BIOS - How do I do it?

Carefully and only if absolutely necessary.

I've seen so many computers reduced to a heap of junk by BIOS updates/upgrades going wrong - even by experienced computer users.

Unless you have very good reasons to do this, my advice would be avoid.

in around 2-6 years,

Speaking, as I usually do, from my broad depth of ignorance, I would think you should consider this. If your computer is at the lower end of your estimate then it should not need updating. If it at the other end of your estimate the whole MB will need replacing. I think pops has got the right answer. Let sleeping dogs lie. Otherwise they might get up and bite you.

BIOS updates are only to fix problems. They do not add any performance increases or make your system in any way faster.

To find information on how to update your BIOS and your BIOS files, read your users manual or visit your motherboard manufacturer's website.

BIOS - Basic Input Output System. Thats it. It handles the immediate load of the boot sector of your hard disk, does basic hardware tests and thats about it. Do not update it unless the problem it fixes directly effects your system.

FWIW my BIOS is over 10 years old on one of my systems because there is nothing wrong with it.

I completely agree with the advice given by Scarecrow Man and -pops- .

Only ever flash your BIOS if you have a problem with your PC which you know has been definitely cured in a later BIOS update. If the update fails for any reason, you will have a dead motherboard.

BIOS updates are only to fix problems. They do not add any performance increases or make your system in any way faster.

To find information on how to update your BIOS and your BIOS files, read your users manual or visit your motherboard manufacturer's website.

BIOS - Basic Input Output System. Thats it. It handles the immediate load of the boot sector of your hard disk, does basic hardware tests and thats about it. Do not update it unless the problem it fixes directly effects your system.

FWIW my BIOS is over 10 years old on one of my systems because there is nothing wrong with it.

My new harddrive doesn't work properly with it.

If u have no issues with your BIOS don't do it...Process is delicate and can go wrong...If it does u must give a large amount of money in order to save ur motherboard...

Always have this in mind, no matter what u do:don't fix what isn't broken!!!

lol

The only time in my memory that it was necessary for people to update their BIOS was before the year 2000, to fix Y2K problems. But of course, if you do have a problem with your BIOS, you may need to upgrade. But let's start slowly...

Download System Information for Windows (SIW), and run it. (It is an executable that does not need to be installed.

Once it is initialized, click on BIOS in the hardware section. This should give you the full details on your BIOS, including the version and release date.

Now that you have that information, you can go to your manufacturer's website and check if ⒜ a newer version is available, and ⒝ if that new version fixes your problem.

My computer is now about four years old, and thanks to all the EXCELLENT advice from this forum is running as good as the day the shop first brought it round for me. LEAVE WELL ALONE. From some of your posts on here you appear to mess about too much and ask for trouble. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

Property Value

BIOS Version GBT - 42302e31

Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

BIOS Date 08/08/05

BIOS Web Page http://www.award.com

BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.

Version F3

Release 08/08/2005

BIOS Size 256 KB

Characteristics - supports booting from ATAPI ZIP drive

- supports booting from LS-120

- supports AGP

- supports legacy USB

- supports ACPI

- Multi Processor supported by BIOS

- supports INT 10 CGA/Mono video services

- supports INT 17 printer services

- supports INT 14 serial services

- supports INT 09 and 8042 keyboard services

- supports INT 05 print-screen

- supports INT 13 3.5-inch/2.88M floppy services

- supports INT 13 3.5-inch/720K floppy services

- supports INT 13 5.25-inch/1.2M floppy services

- supports INT 13 5.25-inch/360K floppy services

- supports Enhanced Disk Drive specification

- BIOS ROM is socketed

- supports selectable boot

- supports booting from CD-ROM

- allows BIOS shadowing

- upgradeable (Flash) BIOS

- supports APM

- supports Plug-and-Play

- supports PCI

DMI Version 2.3 @000F0CE0

You can go here http://scan.esupport.com/ to see if an upgrade is available to you.

Caution: before installing any BIOS update, make sure that

1. the update fixes a problem you have
  2. you have read all the warnings in this thread

If the BIOS update goes wrong, then you can throw your computer in the trash!

O.M.G. I just don't believe the direction that this thread is taking. You frequently come on here and ask advice, as do many of us. We listen to the advice, and if there is conflicting advice we may ask questions for clarification, then we either take the advice or not. You seem to take a perverse delight in asking for advice, then advancing all sorts of reasons for not taking it. My computer is almost 4 years old and is still running like a dream, thanks mainly to the excellent advice received on this forum. I have NOT upgraded to Vista, because the general advice both here and on other forums appears to be that unless you are prepared to spend money on all sorts of new hardware, then DON'T bother. After asking about problems with Norton on here, I attempted to uninstall it but could not do so cleanly, so I followed the advice as to how to reinstall Windows, and made an Acronis backup. Over the years I have on many occasions been eternally grateful to those who have spent a lot of time helping me and others. I suggest that you either take the advice or don't, but don't ask for it and then argue against it. You are wasting very helpful peoples time.

I like having up to date stuff!

Let me experiment, and make my own mistakes, who know's I might find something good where you coudn't!

By all means experiment and make your own mistakes. I have done the same. However, the answer is to make a back up and then experiment to your hearts content. You are wasting peoples time by asking for advice, than arguing against it.

If the BIOS update goes wrong, then you can throw your computer in the trash!

I'm fortunate as I am using a Gigabyte motherboard which uses Dual-BIOS technology

A couple of years ago, I have had no alternative but to update my BIOS on one occasion to fix a bug but I was able to carry it out without worrying about borking my PC.

If my main BIOS got corrupted during the update then the backup BIOS would automatically 'kick in'.

After this has happened, I would then copy the (working) data from the backup BIOS overwriting the corrupt data on the main BIOS.

This feature is so handy that I would probably buy another Gigabyte motherboard enabled PC.

The motherboard manufacturer should be able to provide BIOS updates. It is usually a free service.

Determined as you seem to be, I should warn you yet again, though, that you are taking great risks in doing this.

I hope you have a spare computer.

hehehehe

I want to learn how to do a BIOS update, I am getting a new PC in a month, so I should test it out!

WHY should you want to test it out? It will be a brand new machine with the latest bios. My computer is almost four years old and the bios is fine. Many on here run much older machines with the original bios. You asked for advice and now seem totally hell bent on ignoring the answers. You are wasting very helpful peoples time. You will reach the time when people will just ignore your calls for help.

The motherboard manufacturer should be able to provide BIOS updates. It is usually a free service.

Determined as you seem to be, I should warn you yet again, though, that you are taking great risks in doing this.

By the way. Whch part of pops posting did you not read?

By the way. Whch part of pops posting did you not read?

I looked for the free BIOS update, but I can't find it :(

All my BIOS details are on the previous page, please help!

I have a GIGABYTE motherboard (I think)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: Double posting?