Update BIOS - How do I do it?

Panarchy

You must have noticed by now that I am the only one bothering to carry on with this conversation. I think the others have given up. You claim to have looked for a free update, and yet you are not even certain what MB your computer has. I too will now give up on this thread.

BIOS Type: Award

BIOS Date: August 8th 2005

BIOS ID: 08/08/2005-SiS-661FX-6A7I4G0EC-00

BIOS OEM: 8S661FXMP-RZ F3 - F3

Chipset: SiS 661 rev 17

SuperIO: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 3 at port 002E

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Motherboard: GA-8S661FXMP-RZ

Maximum Memory: 2048MB

Installed Memory: 2048MB

Memory Config: Slot1:1024 Slot2:1024

As you seem determined to commit cyber suicide - here is a link to the only motherboard I can locate using your posted reference number - this is for the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM not the GA-8S661FXMP-RZ - which may be an unsupported derivative.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=1724

These BIOS updates may not be suitable for your own board - so please understand that you do any updating entirely at your own risk !

This motherboard supports the Gigabyte @BIOS - BIOS Live Update Utility

So you'd better read this ! http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTec...tech_a_bios.htm

Thanks, the second link was bad, but I found it: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboar...y&FileID=52

Hopefully this will do what I want it to do :P

Why do you drag this on after receiving expert advice but ignoring it?

Do what you want......but we could now care less what happens. B)

^Arghh!

Someone's angry!

I care!

Not angry, just amazed that after all the good advice given by very thoughtful people after you asked for it, you choose to argue against taking it, time and time again. As DW said, just get on with it, I think that most of the experts on here are now sick and tired of this topic. Maybe I'm wrong,, but I really don't think that many of us will be waiting with bated breath to read the reply to your e mail.

You must have noticed by now that I am the only one bothering to carry on with this conversation. I think the others have given up. You claim to have looked for a free update, and yet you are not even certain what MB your computer has. I too will now give up on this thread.

:unsure:

I am interested in the outcome, one day I might need it and if the brave amongst us didn't try things out the world would stand still.

:unsure:

I Know. :lol: :lol: You just can't help but be amazed at the way he has persisted though can you? Is it tenacity or something else? :D

It is possible that Panarchy looks upon his computer not as you do, solely as a means of communication and a tool with which to do things, but as an amusement, a toy, a pastime, just as some people see, well lets say bowls. There are many people like that. They are the sort of people who led to the virtual extinction of the "Flat Earthers".

Edit:-

I remember when I was about 5 years old, my friend David Race and I started to dig down, in our back garden, to Australia. My father came and asked what we were doing and after asking how we expected to get back, he told us that we would never achieve our aim. We knew better and persisted, on and off for a couple of days. And in the end we succeeded....in proving he was right. Then we had to clear up the mess!!

It is possible that Panarchy looks upon his computer not as you do, solely as a means of communication and a tool with which to do things, but as an amusement, a toy, a pastime, just as some people see, well lets say bowls. There are many people like that. They are the sort of people who led to the virtual extinction of the "Flat Earthers".

Edit:-

I remember when I was about 5 years old, my friend David Race and I started to dig down, in our back garden, to Australia. My father came and asked what we were doing and after asking how we expected to get back, he told us that we would never achieve our aim. We knew better and persisted, on and off for a couple of days. And in the end we succeeded....in proving he was right. Then we had to clear up the mess!!

Point made. :D

On looking at the BIOS updates on the Gigabyte site there are F1, F2 & F3, as your version is allready F3, there is no update available as you have the latest one.

Thanks for that information. It makes sense, actually. Award - the maker of Panarchy's BIOS - has been swallowed up by Phoenix, and Phoenix does not support Award BIOS, according to their website.

So, no more updates for Award BIOSes.

On looking at the BIOS updates on the Gigabyte site there are F1, F2 & F3, as your version is allready F3, there is no update available as you have the latest one.

Thanks for that information. It makes sense, actually. Award - the maker of Panarchy's BIOS - has been swallowed up by Phoenix, and Phoenix does not support Award BIOS, according to their website.

Oh... okay... thanks.

Crikey, I have an Award BIOS :(

4klcw7c.jpg

Never mind as everything is still working okay and I will probably be buying a new PC next year as this one is around 6 years old !

I'm no guru Panarchy but here goes what I know about bios Updates. They differ from board to board and are usually used to fix problems. Ie... your hard drive issue would be one in my book as your pc will not work with the hd which is a problem. You usually have to refer to your motherboards manual for detailed info and the updated bios are usually at the manufacturer site. (I would not install a bios update or chip if it did not come from a very trusted place) Just DL, do what the manual says word for word and you should be ok. I will add the CAUTION sticker that everyone else has because it is very true. You can fry something but sometimes you just have to take the risk. I have an issue with my system that I suspect a bios update may have a hand in. So if you want to rid yourself of the troubles than look for a workaround unless that is your only option. Just my 2 cents.

I got a reply from GIGABYTE;

Answer - 528984

Answer : Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, we do not find the model name on prodcut list. Can you give us any photos for reference?

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

******** Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products ***********

Question - 528984

Sent : 10/29/2007 14:19

Question : I can't find BIOS updates for my GA-8S661GXMP-RZ.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I couldn't find my C/tick number, the only one I could find was on my graphics card (non gigabyte).

I just replied again;

Sent : 11/1/2007 13:41

Question : Here is all the info about my BIOS that I could find (I used a program that tells me this info)

BIOS Type: Award

BIOS Date: August 8th 2005

BIOS ID: 08/08/2005-SiS-661FX-6A7I4G0EC-00

BIOS OEM: 8S661FXMP-RZ F3 - F3

Chipset: SiS 661 rev 17

SuperIO: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 3 at port 002E

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Motherboard: GA-8S661FXMP-RZ

Maximum Memory: 2048MB

Installed Memory: 2048MB

Memory Config: Slot1:1024 Slot2:1024

Please help me, thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: Need more info? Just ask!

PPS: Please reply!

Panarchy