Broadband via the sewers

AlanHo

Details here

I am no techie and don't understand the implications of this technology - but the concept of accessing the internet via the sewers is an intriguing one.

Does this mean that I will have to move my computer into the bathroom. It would hopefully offer the perfect excuse for leaving the seat up.

I wouldn't mind having access to a fibre optic network and I don't care if my connection comes from the sewers as long as I don't smell it :rolleyes:

I live a long way from the exchange and so am limited to around 3 Mb and so it would be very welcome in my area but I'm not holding my breath after reading the following text from the article:

While BT has pledged to provide all new housing estates in the UK with fibre connections it has not yet made clear its plans for existing homes.

There is no logical reason for this not to be a damned good idea. The sewers are already there, and an optic fibre cable is hardly likely to cause a blockage. The actual cable laying would be a doddle compared with digging up the roads. Our road was a mess for weeks on end when the NTL cable was laid. :D

catgate's on a roll..... :lol:

A bog roll. :lol:

We call them toilet rolls in Solihull - none of yer common language here.

We use posh ones. Andrex bog rolls. I used to buy recycled ones, but I was worried as to how they managed to clean them. :D