How many of you have............

...........calibrated the video settings on your HDTV? If you have not I strongly suggest that you do........it makes a world of difference.

A good program to use is Digital Video Essentials. If you do not want to bother with the time (it takes about 2-3 hours using that DVD) and money you can always search for optimal settings on the net.

We ended up purchasing Sony Bravia KDL46-XBR4 and found the following sites useful:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....076&page=10

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=22468&page=5

Since calibrating our set the picture on HD is now lifelike.

HDTV.............an amazing thing.

HDTV is not widely available in the UK and, like Pat says is the situation in Japan, the equipment seems very expensive for, from what I've seen demonstrated, not all that much of an improvement in picture or sound quality - certainly not enough to justify the expenditure.

(My first and few experiences of HDTV were exhibitions organised by Sony - who ought to have been able to get it right!)

You can carry on indefinitely updating and then updating again. There is so much to spend money on, and the manufacturers are only after getting as much as possible out of the gullible. We have had our current wide screen for three years, and I hope that it will carry on functioning for at least another ten. It's the same with computers, mine is four years old and does everything that I want it to in XP. I have no desire to buy another yet until it starts to play up. From what I have seen on HDTV, the so called improvement is just not worth while, and in addition to this, the channels cost extra. :D

One factor may be that the US NTSC TV system transmits 525 lines whereas the European system is 625 lines - hence our picture quality has always been much better than in America. Along comes HD TV and the Americans shout WOW - they can see chin hairs etc for the first time. We say - Oh, that's better.

If only for that reason HD TV is likely to be more popular the other side of the pond - aided of course by much lower prices there - and a higher disposable income for the middle classes.

I have an HD TV which has a picture definition of 1920 x 1080p. From day one, I was amazed at the picture quality on standard cable TV and find the few available HD broadcasts awesome. A friend in the trade popped round and calibrated the screen a few months ago - which took him the best part of a couple of hours - and was proud of the results. I was too polite to confess that I couldn't see any noticeable difference between the superb picture quality before and the superb after. Perhaps I was lucky to buy a set that was already set up with an optimum picture.

One factor may be that the US NTSC TV system transmits 525 lines whereas the European system is 625 lines - hence our picture quality has always been much better than in America. Along comes HD TV and the Americans shout WOW - they can see chin hairs etc for the first time. We say - Oh, that's better.

If only for that reason HD TV is likely to be more popular the other side of the pond - aided of course by much lower prices there - and a higher disposable income for the middle classes.

I have an HD TV which has a picture definition of 1920 x 1080p. From day one, I was amazed at the picture quality on standard cable TV and find the few available HD broadcasts awesome. A friend in the trade popped round and calibrated the screen a few months ago - which took him the best part of a couple of hours - and was proud of the results. I was too polite to confess that I couldn't see any noticeable difference between the superb picture quality before and the superb after. Perhaps I was lucky to buy a set that was already set up with an optimum picture.

Standard digital cable is broadcast at 780. What you most likely did was made the picture fit the screen and that is not true 1080.

We never broadcast 525 but rather 420 analogue. Digital channels are 780 and HD are 1080. The US is going 100% digital next year dumping the old analogue system.

BTW: Even if you do not receive HD but have a plasma or LCD set it is worth taking the time to calibrate the color settings. Makes all the difference in the world.

Regarding price of the sets here in the US........it all depends on size and manufacturer A 46" 1080 LCD can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,500. A similar size 1080 plasma runs slightly higher.

TV manufacturers do not set default picture quality settings to the achieve the best picture quality, thus the need to calibrate. This was true even with the cathode ray sets.

Note to Alan: My bad on the 420.........I was obviously mixing up lines with pixels. Sorry.

Regarding price of the sets here in the US........it all depends on size and manufacturer A 46" 1080 LCD can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,500. A similar size 1080 plasma runs slightly higher.

TV manufacturers do not set default picture quality settings to the achieve the best picture quality, thus the need to calibrate. This was true even with the cathode ray sets.

Note to Alan: My bad on the 420.........I was obviously mixing up lines with pixels. Sorry.

I am puzzled by this. Why aren't the sets set up properly? I will never buy one unless it is setp up properly in the first place. Our wide screen TV is a cathode ray tube, and it looks fine to me. I would not know how to calibrate it if I tried.1.gif

I expect to adjust the brightness, contrast, bass, and treble to my own likings, but this takes just a minute or two. Very occasional adjustments are necessary from time to time. If I have to spend a couple of hours messing about calibrating a picture, then I will be happy with my CRT for as long as it doesn't break down. It seems to me that the more things progress, the more trouble they become. To us, our picture looks as good as anything that we see in the showroom, and probably better. Most people appear to our tastes to have the blacks too dark, with little detail, and the whites too light. The colour on most showroom, and many friends televisions seems to be set too high and unnatural, with people having funny orange sun tans. I think that a TV picture is subjective and depends upon the individual concerned, and not on some notional settings. :D

I calibrated our old CRT after we purchased it some 15 years ago using a video calibration program. Took about an hour and the picture quality improved immensely.

I don't mind messing around with things. The hour or two spent on tweaking the picture on the new tv was fun and well worth it for me. But I am an engineer by education and trade. ;-)

To each their own andsome.

From http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electro..._picture_ov.htmWhen you get your new TV home, don’t expect picture-perfect images right out of the box. The default factory settings are designed to create a super-bright, colorful image to lure shoppers, but they’re almost always a bad choice for use at home.
Looks like one for my Hubby!! :D

Our TV is an HD Ready with a Plasma screen.

I prefer reality, personally. It doesn't need calibrating or adjusting, it isn't pixelated, and it'll last at least as long as I do. (And the colours are real).

Reality normally trumps seeing it on TV. There are exceptions though........I do not care about being in a natural disaster, being on death row, being in a war zone......that type of reality sucks. :rolleyes:

We had been saving up for one. My daughter needed a tv so we pulled the trigger and gave her our old one. A win win for everyone!
Great when we can pass on something to our kids, which gives them a benefit, :D

but also makes room for an upgrade for us Oldies!

As you say DW, win win for all concerned. ;)

Well.....my current 14" analog with the wire coat hanger , on a good day, can get almost 5 channels with free ghosting for added numpties ..... plus the teletext works only if you can read ancient egyptian ........and everyone looks like Peter Hain ....!

ah........ the joys of the homeless and destitute .............

Well.....my current 14" analog with the wire coat hanger , on a good day, can get almost 5 channels with free ghosting for added numpties ..... plus the teletext works only if you can read ancient egyptian ........and everyone looks like Peter Hain ....!

:lol:

Oh sweetheart, come and let me give you a big hug! :D

I don't like the way an awful lot of people have their sets set. Dark and very dark greys are frequently black, pales are often too white and bright. I feel sure that our CRT is as near to natural as it is possible to get. All these new sets in the shops are much too garish for my tastes, with people all having fake tans, and the contrast looking like soot and whitewash. A few minutes with the brightness, contrast and colour buttons are all that it took to get our set as we like it. Surely all this calibrating is to notional settings. Each broadcast is going to differ slightly, unless it's always in the same studio. Each outside broadcast will be different to the last one according to the time of day and season. Why don't TV sets all contain instructions for calibrating in the booklet if this is so important? this is the first that I have heard about calibrating. Surely if this calibrating is all that you say it is, it isn't beyond the capabilities of the manufacturers to develop automatic calibration, and set up each TV to an optimum setting before it leaves the factory. :D

Needing a bit more than that ...but the offers highly upliftng

Completion on the sale of the flat been knocked back another 2 weeks as there is a debit claim placed at the land registry by a court order on the sale of the property Im buying , and the vendor sez he knows squat .....Some geezer in Pimlico ....may have been there from the previous seller and his solicitor missed it .........

There has been the suggestion of taking an indeminty insurance to cover the claim...to push the sale through .... but like ..nah

In Wales fer a recharge at the mo ....I took the week off expecting to paint the walls and lay down laminate flooring in the hall livingroom and bedroom....in

the new place ...

The gezzers a bit to monochrome for my tastes ....grey carpet and white walls all through ...and black leather furniture .....bloody munsters innit

so rather than waste it

Feet up drinking a rather elubrient pint of Brains Gold at the mo .......choice ...my toes are twitching

Needing a bit more than that ...but the offers highly upliftng

Completion on the sale of the flat been knocked back another 2 weeks as there is a debit claim placed at the land registry by a court order on the sale of the property Im buying , and the vendor sez he knows squat .....Some geezer in Pimlico ....may have been there from the previous seller and his solicitor missed it .........

There has been the suggestion of taking an indeminty insurance to cover the claim...to push the sale through .... but like ..nah

In Wales fer a recharge at the mo ....I took the week off expecting to paint the walls and lay down laminate flooring in the hall livingroom and bedroom....in

the new place ...

The gezzers a bit to monochrome for my tastes ....grey carpet and white walls all through ...and black leather furniture .....bloody munsters innit

so rather than waste it

Feet up drinking a rather elubrient pint of Brains Gold at the mo .......choice ...my toes are twitching

I hope things work out for you Tankus. I also hope you made a nice profit on the sale of the house you worked so hard on. B)

• 4 months later...

blimey ...well ...been in the new place a few months now (figure its worth has dropped around £10K since Ive bought it , but ..ah well )

Ive now networked both my comps through a bb router to 2X 22"" samsungs monitors a 20"hp (kitchen) and a 47" philips in the living room (also linked to an LG home theater kit )

but the Tv's got an annoying habit of re setting itself on startup so that the edges are missing , the properties are set at 1280x720 which is optimum for this set ..sometimes it fits , sometimes it goes off the edge and it can only be reset by turning it of and on ...its not the widescreen/zoom button ....any suggestions to permanently fix this ?