• AVG
    • BitDefender
    • Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec (Corporate)
    • Windows OneCare
    • Other (please tell me/us which!)

I have personally proved Avast to be the best.

It is so good that it does not have to be installed. I have it on a CD just at the side on my router, and I have had no virus invasion since I put it there, just as a finished installing Linux.

Avast! (free edition)

Are you claiming that that one is the proven BEST, and if so what is the source of this proof, or just your favourite? See the question at the beginning.

Well I had Trend before and that wasn't as good. The fact that I have a clean machine is good enough for me :rolleyes:

Avast! (free edition)

Are you claiming that that one is the proven BEST, and if so what is the source of this proof, or just your favourite? See the question at the beginning.

Well I had Trend before and that wasn't as good. The fact that I have a clean machine is good enough for me :rolleyes:

This is no proof that it is the best. It takes an independent lab to do such tests. I doubt that anyone on this forum is equipped to do such tests. This is a daft subject for a poll, personal preference is no proof of the best or otherwise. :D

......... personal preference is no proof of the best or otherwise. :D

You mean that If, for example, someone prefers a certain web browser, then that web browser is not necessarily the best?

edit:- I am suffering from very wilful punctuation marks.

You mean that If, for example, someone prefers a certain web browser, then that web browser is not necessarily the best?

:P :lol:

Nice ;)

Oh, and one of the reasons I made this topic was to help me chose an anti-virus, (I use Nod32) looks like I'll continue using it. (with my 50% student discount!)

I use AVG free and it doesn't cause me any blems but it does run a scan at the start of every day and for some reason vista seems to have twice as many files as any other OS. I know this is easily disabled but i'm lazy lol. Should this not be a poll for best anti virus at the start of 2008 and leave the best anti virus for 2008 at the end of the year but then again this does ask the question where will this end? best anti virus half way through 2008? best anti virus for christmas, halloween any other holidays? Just a thought that blurted out

Nice ;)

Oh, and one of the reasons I made this topic was to help me chose an anti-virus, (I use Nod32) looks like I'll continue using it. (with my 50% student discount!)

So you're ignoring the Poll then, which makes Avast and AVG equal favourites? Why have a poll in the first place :unsure:

Nice ;)

So you're ignoring the Poll then, which makes Avast and AVG equal favourites? Why have a poll in the first place :unsure:

Because he is a time waster, and enjoys asking advice and ignoring it. :D

A test done in 2004 (I know its quite old now...) shows the following:

AntiVir: 89.12%

Avast! Pro: 93.09%

BitDefender Pro: 95.27%

Dr. Web: 96.09%

F-Prot: 98.56%

Trend Micro: 90.44%

KAV: 99.86%

McAfee: 99.26%

Nod32: 95.51%

Norton 95.15%

Panda Platinum: 99.11%

RAV: 98.43%

Sophos: 94.25%

This was with a total of 298.293 viruses tested. *Error level 0.1-0.2%*

Of course this has no meaning today, but my point is NO anti virus is perfect. The use of a firewall and an anti virus program can greatly reduce your risk to attacks but unfortunately the only true method to prevent 100% of viruses is to unplug the Internet.

Well you only know that because of the other poll. Why put a poll on here then where there aren't as many voters?

Most users want a free application and having a paid-for one does not automatically mean that it is better.

These kind of polls are not very useful because you can't judge unless you've experienced all of them. An impossibility I would have thought.

Also, I would take something for that cough if I were you :rolleyes:

Panicky, you seem to be unable to grasp the simple fact that a poll cannot possibly prove what is the best technically. Pointing people towards another equally silly and pointless poll proves nothing at all. Before making such an important decision as an AV program, and a firewall, I did what seemed to me to be the most sensible thing, and that was to GOOGLE for INDEPENDENT test results. These also proved to be inconclusive because the results differed according to what day they were tested on, and what set of virus definitions the programmers had installed on that day. Several programs came consistently in the top three, and the obvious thing to do then is to pick one from these, that you find easiest to use and you feel comfortable with. Silly polls prove NOTHING at all. It’s like asking ‘what is the best bread’. DAFT isn’t it?

Mayhaps, instead of ranting on about something you don't even understand, maybe test thing out yourself. Maybe even say what the 3 AV's that are apparently so good are, or are you to afraid of being flamed?

Well you only know that because of the other poll. Why put a poll on here then where there aren't as many voters?

Most users want a free application and having a paid-for one does not automatically mean that it is better.

These kind of polls are not very useful because you can't judge unless you've experienced all of them. An impossibility I would have thought.

Also, I would take something for that cough if I were you :rolleyes:

Hmm... I suppose you're right.

*receives cough lolly*

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...